Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing changes for fuel mileage increases. Compiling data.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing changes for fuel mileage increases. Compiling data.

I will be compiling fuel mileage data from my Festive and chronicling it here. First I’ll list some of the criteria this study will be conducted under.

1990 Festiva with 97K miles. A/C, Automatic, 14” rims with 175/65/14 tires.
    I use this car for work and have a bicycle rack and a small ladder on the roof of the car. I’m sure this will impact the mileage negatively but will leave it on over the course of the study because that’s they way it normally gets driven. I may end up removing he rack and ladder at the end just to see what impact it really has. I also removed the back seat and haul around about 180 lbs of tools and junk. I’ll be leaving that in the car also. Again may remove it all at the end just to see how much impact the extra weight made. I’ll also be listing what kind of driving I did with each tank of gas. I will try and drive as consistently ass possible for the test. If anything unusual comes up (driving up lots of hills, high winds, etc) I will mention that also. As changes are made they will be listed and I will try and run a few tanks of gas through before making another change.
    Right now, I do all my freeway driving at an indicated 55 mph. I don’t think I’m actually going that slow due to the larger wheels. Here in Phoenix, you will incite road rage going that slow on the freeway. I will have to find out what my actual speed is at an indicated 55. Gotta find a nice cop with a radar gun. I also think my mileage calculations are off due to the larger wheels but I’ll use the numbers anyway just for reference.

I’ve already switched to synthetic oil in the motor and did notice a gain of about 1 mpg.
    Next, I’ll be switching from the automatic to a 5 speed manual. I expect to get the largest gain from that alone. Feel free to check in every few months or so and I will be doing little things here and there to try and squeeze all the mileage I can. Of course I’ll be on this forum pumping you guys for information and suggestions the whole time,

For the past year I’ve gotten an average of 32.89 mpg with about an even split of city and highway driving. I took a trip to Tucson after I changed to synthetic oil and drove 48mph, all highway and got 36 mpg. No A/C and windows up. On the way back I drove at 65 and had the A/C on and the mileage went down to about 30.

gallons/miles = mileage City/Highway
    7.9 / 253 = 32 50 / 50 some A/C useage
    8.0 / 244 = 30.5 50 / 50 lots of A/C useage
    8.6/ 265 = 30.8 50/ 50 Lots of A/C useage
    8.69/260 = 29.9 50 / 50 Lots of A/C useage
    9.57/ 284 = 29.7 50 / 50 Some A/C useage
    8.16 / 251 = 30.76 50 / 50 Some A/C useage
    8.80 / 266 = 30.2 50 / 50
    8.4 / 236 = 28.1

an easy way to keep track is on the gov. web site, www.fueleconomy.gov
    You can set it up for free, and it has all you need. keeps a running total, and comparrison to like vehicles. I have mine there.
    Lobo
    it's hard being cool.
    88 Festiva L
    99 V92C

Comment

Working...
    X