gas mileage vs wheel size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas mileage vs wheel size.

I got my Festiva with 14" wheels so I have no way of knowing what effect it had on the car when they got installed.

When I put bigger wheels and tires on my truck, I lost about 2.5 mpg.
    I thought that the larger diameter would have given me better mileage but that is not the case. They were much heavier and had more rolling resistance which caused the mileage loss. They did look rather nice though. I'm wondering could this be the case with the Festiva also.
    The diameter of the wheels and tires I have now are 22.75". I'm also wondering how much that has thrown off my speedo/odometer readings.
    Anyone got some useful feed back for me on this issue?

You have 14 inch tires where originally there was 12 inch tires, WOW.

Your speedometer will be wrong. Load on your engine will be greater. WOW 14 inches eh!

I just got my sporty out on the road yesterday from a rebuild. I went to wal-mart and purchased a $79.00 (cheap) hand held GPS unit. I used it to check how accurate my spedo is.

Will the car make a tight turn without your tires rubbing?
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Comment

It all depends on the overall diameter, if they are 30 series, should be close)
      69 Shelby GT-350, 351W, 4 spd
      97 Jag xk8 vert
      06 Mini Cooper S GP
      93 Stiva
      04 Volvo S80

Comment

I have 14's and they are a smaller diameter than the stock 12's. It all depends on the tire profile. Use this calculator to check the difference in tire sizes:

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

I know the load on motor is greater. I also know that my speedo is off. I just don't know by how much. No. I don't have any interference problems. Turns fine. No rubbing.

That is a neat site for comparing tire sizes. I guess I need to know the stock tire size to use it though.

If I can find someone here locally with a stock wheel, I would like to weigh it and compare it to my 14" wheel.

Comment

Try this calculator it gives speedometer accuracy with tire size comparison.
            Selects a tire width, select an aspect ratio, and a rim diameter, and click on calc. The program calcs the correct tire diameter. this number can then be compared to the MFR original tire diameter.
            Brian
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
            :fish:

Comment

The overall diameter is only one factor affecting your mileage, etc.

Other factors are:

-tire and wheel weight (especially important as this is unsprung, rotational weight!)
              -frontal area added to your car which will affect drag (wider tires)
              -increased or decreased height, which can affect drag
              -tire composition, which can affect rolling resistance
              -tire width, which will also affect rolling resistance
              -offset, which can stick the tires out and affect drag

There may be other factors I 'm missing.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

safety Guy,
                Those are some interesting points. Things I hadn't thought about.
                One alone may not do much but the sum of all or some could make a significant difference. Thanks for your input.

What are the stock tire size recommendations for the Festiva?
                I'll try that calculator.

The wheel and tire combo I have now sure look nice but I'm after the best gas mileage. They may have to go. I'll have to make that decision soon as my current set of tire need replacing.

Toonces

Comment

165/70/sr 12. was the info given to me off this site.
                  Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Comment

i dont know i have the 155 r12's on mine.
                    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Stock tire diameter sizes will be met very closely by the following:

-145/80-12
                      -165/70-12
                      -175/60-13

The first two are "from the factory stock" sizes.

The 155/80-12 size is most often substituted for the harder to find 145/80-12. However, it raises the ride height about 8mm and will thus indicate a slower speed.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                      X