Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High mileage ford festiva improvements and mods!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High mileage ford festiva improvements and mods!

What can I do to get better mileage in my festiva I just bought the one after crashing my old one which got 38-43mpg. I'm getting only 28-33 in the new festiva! I have replaced so far. Spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, valve cover gasket, headgasket, and back wheel bearings. Help!!!

First, let us know what year and transaxle and equipment you have. You should also post where you are.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
      First, let us know what year and transaxle and equipment you have. You should also post where you are.

Karl
      1993 Ford Festiva GL,with the stock 1.3L motor and tranny. It's got the bear minimum no ac and everything is manual. It's at 198k miles and I live in northern Minnesota
      Last edited by Devonddd; 03-25-2013, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Make sure the rear wheel bearings and brakes are not dragging, for starters. Stick a can of Sea Foam in a full tank of gas, to clean up the combustion areas and injectors. Is it a 4-speed or 5-speed manual tranny? The 5-speeds will obviously get better hwy mileage.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Re: High mileage ford festiva improvements and mods!

^+1
          Don't forget tires!
          Rolling resistance is a mpg killer!
          Last edited by Huli; 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM.
          HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
          "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

It's a 5 speed and the tires aren't new but the got the right psi

Comment

Check for fuel tank leaks, this is what is currently killing my mpg the most.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I've found alignment plays a big role. If it's way off, the tires will be fighting each other before they put their energy to the ground for forward motion. That's a waste of gas.
                -Zack
                Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Thin slick high tech oils, Cam timing and ignition timing and a little extra of the latter, Clean injectors and a new denso O2, and do not use Bosch spark plugs. Exhaust and intake clean and free breathing. No old batteries or monster stereos that can turn the alternator into a dyno the entire time you are driving. If you have access to Ethanol free gasoline for nearly the same price, use it. Make sure your ECM is reading 190F or so to get best lean mix from the engine control module.

Nothing beats regearing your speedometer to read about 30mph fast on the freeway , Its incredible!
                  I never saved so much money!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Hello, this is my first Festiva. so what's wrong with Bosch spark plugs?

Comment

Distributor cap and rotor can both be replaced for less than $20. If those have corrosion on them you might not be getting a good spark.
                      88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
                      92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
                      91 - Shell with title
                      92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

The only thing wrong with Bosch plugs is a few prople on here don't like them. I've used them since my Festy was new with no issues. I've had Bosch Plats +2's in it for over 2 yrs with no issue
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by karynkailanisfestiva View Post
                          Hello, this is my first Festiva. so what's wrong with Bosch spark plugs?
                          Nothing, I've been running them for years.
                          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                          Zulu Ministries

Comment

that is just regular copper plugs.imo I think platinums and all the rest are really money gimmick

Comment

Platinums are for higher output spark systems like DIS and COP. They use the platinum electrode for longevity purposes. I run copper cores in my Mustang but I have to change them more often.
                              If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                              Zulu Ministries

Comment

Working...
                              X