Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The big fear of all festiva owner. Crashing in our little cars. Has anyone ever.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Festivas dont do well in side impact collisions. My first Festy took a hit totally broadside on the drivers door by a chevy station wagon at about 30 mph. Pushed the whole door in, broke the window (coulda been my head, as I had a cut on the side of my forehead) spun the Festy around 360* stopping on the shoulder like I had parked there, right next to a 10 foot drop off at the edge of the shoulder! :nightmare:

My son was sitting passenger. We also bumped heads in the impact. I am very careful as to watch the idiots on the road!

Festy = totaled
    Last edited by drddan; 03-26-2013, 04:04 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I hit a 2011 Lancer & devider wall @ 85-90 in my Aspire on fathers day. No seat belt,the air bags are the only reason I'm alive. The car is barely recognizable but I walked away after I regained consciousness. I still cringe every time I see my paint on that wall.drool
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I rear-ended a Ford F150 that had a triple-ball trailer hitch on it in my '94 Aspire. It was raining, and I had put brand new 80,000-mi tires on the car (hard rubber). Traffic had pulled away from a red light, and the driver in the truck wasn't paying attention to the fact that there was a near-miss situation ahead of him, and plowed into a stopped Honda, shoving him under another F150. I had just enough time to realize that he had stopped before I hit him. I hydroplaned as soon as I hit the brakes, which was bad because we hadn't reached 30mph yet. The hitch pierced the radiator, and stopped the car. My wife's head pushed the glass out on her side of the windshield. The air bags went off, throwing her back into the seat where the seatbelts locked down hard. To this day she has neck issues.

As for the young lady who lost her life in an Aspire, her unfortunate end was not due to the car, but the semi rear beam that caved when the car hit it at speed. Observe:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

^well thats an "eye-opener"
          Fast....Women are fast
          Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ericsmith32 View Post
            Smacked into the side of a Oldsmobile Intrique with a 92 Festiva at about 50mph. Not sure actually could of been faster. Hard enough to knock my glasses off and twirl the car 3 times. Everyone was impressed I walked away from it. Pushed the engine into the firewall and twisted the roof. Busted the frame on the other car The doors opened somehow and the only glass that broke was the windshield due to the hood. If it's your time it doesn't matter you're driving... The Festiva is a very survivable car.

I'll also flipped on one on it's top and after I fixed it rear-ended a Dodge at about 35mph. My nine lives are exhausted!
            ericsmith32 -

2 things....

1) I'm glad you survived all that.

2) If we meet at a Festy rally, pls remind me not to drive with you. :highly_amused:
            88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
            88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
            91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
            93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

I am sure our cars are safer than a SMART car.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                ericsmith32 -

2 things....

1) I'm glad you survived all that.

2) If we meet at a Festy rally, pls remind me not to drive with you. :highly_amused:
                Eh got all my wrecks out at once. Haven't had a wreck that was fault since I was 19.. 32 now. Only 2 since 2000 and none since 2002 (knocking on wood!)
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

at least i had over 140K on my 1st festiva when a cell phone yakker pulled his ranger out of his parking space just as i was driving by. totaled out the car at the B pillar on the passenger side. surprising amount of damage since he was only going about 3-4 MPH. when the cops arrived this POS immediately told them he suspected I was under the influence. luckily a witness stood by to tell the real story. i found my 2nd festiva on the last day the insurance rental car was due to be returned.

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

^ I bet there glad that thing was a 4dr instead of an 2dr
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

My accident:

Slid into the rear of a Chevy truck at 30-40MPH.

The damage was mostly to the bumper, headlight, hood, and radiator upper support.
                        My car still ran and important stuff was undamaged. I straightened out the support as much as I could, beat the headlight buckets back into place, and replaced the hood and driver's side fender.
                        The wreck happened on a Tuesday and I was driving the car again on Thursday.
                        The worst thing was the seatbelt broke and my forehead/upper nose smacked the steering wheel. I had quite a gash and a huge bruise for awhile. Probably should have gotten stitches for that one...
                        Also, I think my steering wheel is slightly bent now.
                        ~Austin
                        Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I resurrected a Festiva that was in a bad wreck with a deer. Looked much worse than some of the cars in this thread. The good (or bad?) thing about these cars is the thin sheet metal, it's easy to hammer out. A little creativity plus new fenders, a hood, a windshield, and a radiator was all it took to put it back on the road. I think I had a grand total of $100 invested in the car - 50 bucks for the car, and another 50 in junkyard parts. Drove it for quite a while until the tranny gave out, at which point I sold it for a nice profit
                          White '89L auto - Sold!
                          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Brag on Tim!

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                            X