Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Near Future Feisty Owner? (Read: Value Advice)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Near Future Feisty Owner? (Read: Value Advice)

Hello!

First of all, my name is Sean, I have been reading and studying up for a while on the site, without posting, and I believe I am ready to make a purchase! I love the site so far, great content and its great to see a website that is so helpful to other car owners instead of bashing them for their choices and so on, so thank you for not being like most car forums.

The reason for my post, I need a great gas mileage DD and something that doesn't need much work to get on the road (I would like to purchase it and have it running well,) so I have been looking and looking and I think I found the one. It is a 1992 L model, one owner, 5 speed manual, no A/C, under 80k mileage car, only needs a valve cover gasket, wiper blades, and a patch in the floorpan to pass state inspection. Eventually new front seats from a pick and pull. 2 door car, no sunroof. The price might be a little high at $2200, but I think for a decently maintained, aqua, low mileage Festiva, that needs a little work, (I can do floorpans, I own a few old Fords.) it might fit the bill?

Is this a decent deal? I believe its a good deal but I keep seeing other member's on the site score sub $500 rides and its a little disconcerting.

Any advice? What should I look for when I take a look at this car? Rust here; a clicking noise here... so on. And if I don't hop on it I'll be sure to spread the whereabouts of this fine little machine.

Thank you for the advice and information, and hopefully thank you for your warm welcomes!!!

I'd love to join you all as an owner in the next day or two with your advice and blessings.

Sean

Welcome Sean!

I'd recommend you go into "Forum Actions" and then "Edit Profile" and put in your location so we know about where you live. Other owners may live nearby.

Here's what I always check on a Festiva:

-ball joints
    -brake line corrosion
    -general rust, especially around the rear axle mounts and underneath the car (rust around the rear quarters is easily seen)
    -check that everything works
    -engine sounds and health

It all depends on what you want to do and how much work you wish to put in for a start.

As for the price, that will depend on local conditions such as how often you see Festivas for sale, what price they go for in your area, how much you are willing to spend, etc.

That price sounds a bit high to me, mainly due to the floor patch needed. Look carefully for more rust! Then try to get the price down below $2000.

YMMV though!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Safety Guy pretty much summed it up for ya', good luck with the purchase
      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
        Welcome Sean!

That price sounds a bit high to me, mainly due to the floor patch needed. Look carefully for more rust! Then try to get the price down below $2000.

YMMV though!

Karl
        ^ X2!
        Check for rust around the back wheel wells and the rear trailing beam.

Welcome to the site!
        Last edited by drddan; 04-08-2013, 11:27 AM.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Safety Guy,

First of all, Thank you! I edited it all. I'm not too far from you, I'm originally from Maryland, about 30 mins West of DC, and I live part time in Delaware. I haven't seen too much around here that is close to that mileage but I could be missing some. That is all great advice so I'll add that to my list of things to look for when I take a look. It seems prices for fuel efficient cars around the beltway are high, and these "easily parkable" cars are desired by those who live in and around DC. I do quite a bit of driving from Delaware to Maryland in my 17mpg Explorer so the Festiva could pay for itself relatively quickly.

Festevil and Dan, thank you for the welcomes and the reassurance!! I appreciate it. I'll double check that area on the car when I see it. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X