Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the hip bone connects to the leg bone - Crossmember comparisons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the hip bone connects to the leg bone - Crossmember comparisons.

hey guys,

I been thinking about my swap recently (Capri XR2 B6 n/a with G25MR trans) and have considered the possible following idea that there is a better suited Crossmember that could support the 1.6l DOHC and G series transmission and still utilise the bolt supports where the original crossmember would be bolted upto.

i'm thinking a Mazda 323 GTX (protege) crossmember would be ideal as this was used to support a 1.6l stock. i understand where the gseries transmission sits is a little further forward than the festiva transmission and was curious to know if anyone knew approximately how much further the G25MR sits compared to the Festiva 5 speed. i do apologize if this has been asked.

also, is someone able to take a photo of the 323 and Festiva crossmembers together so i can have a comparitive look at each of them to save me some time looking at the wreckers and allow me to determine if this is a suitable swap at all.

thanks for your help guys.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

is that a hydraulic transmission? should be cable clutch...g5mr?! I don't know you aussies are weird though! I thought xr2 designation meant turbo?
    Last edited by zoom zoom; 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'm almost certain the crossmembers are widely different.
      Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
      88? Parts car-sold
      91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
      86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
      1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Speaking of modified cars. I was getting quotes from car insurance companies last week and standard question (after establishing whether you own an L or LX model Festiva) from them was "have you undertaken any modifications to the engine or the suspension of the car?" I suppose I could have said "I improved the brakes" (Aspire swap) but thought it wiser to just say nothing. Over your way it's the gov't that wants to know what you've done to a car and over here it's the greedy insurance companies.
        My fantasy answer to such a question might have been "Sure it now has superior brakes and twice the horsepower" but I suspect the annual premium would have doubled as a result.

Comment

I've been asked if I've modded the car for higher performance. I can't recall the exact words, but I told them the truth: I put in a larger engine of the same type, but it's not turbocharged.

I don't think my premiums went up.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

jaw, i have a festiva cradle out of the box but without having a 323 GTX cradle to set next to it i don't think a pic would help BUT to add to the confusion, here are the cutsheets from the festiva and 323 GTX engine/trans. not much help i know without comparative dimensions but since this is going to be an issue i will be facing in the future, i have given some thought to mating the capri engine/trans to the festiva mounting points. i envision making a cradle out of two heavy wall pieces of suitable tubing running essentially parallel with each other about the same distance apart as the width of the festiva stamped steel cradle (thus the sides of my custom cradle) and each one bent to take me from the firewall to the lower rad crossmember (with the appropriate changes in height and direction). then at the calculated points that i need to mount the trans brackets i'd weld a piece of formed or bent steel plate between the 2 pieces of tubing at a point and angle that would allow the capri trans mounts to set right onto. both ends of my "ladder" would also be closed with flatish metal pieces at the correct angle and be drilled to accept the festiva bushings and bolts. maybe some additional gussets here or there for strength. i'm sure the bending would be alot of trial and error but by then i'll be retired with hopefully alot of time to putz.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              I've been asked if I've modded the car for higher performance. I can't recall the exact words, but I told them the truth: I put in a larger engine of the same type, but it's not turbocharged.
              I don't think my premiums went up.
              Karl
              Perhaps you look suitably innocent to your insurance broker (many of us are 'old guys' now) and perhaps you didn't look closely at your new premiums but "they" really twig on to the words "bigger brakes/tires/larger engine" and I also suppose they also would for "Ace sound system upgrade". Insurance companies are not there to protect you but to milk every last cent out of you for any excuse. Heaven forbid that you actually make a claim! Dunno about folks outside of Canada but I think working-age males here work for entirely for gov't/insurance/ex-wives first and foremost and then get to spend whatever little is left, after.

Comment

That x member looks identical to my Capri one.
                1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  Perhaps you look suitably innocent to your insurance broker (many of us are 'old guys' now) and perhaps you didn't look closely at your new premiums but "they" really twig on to the words "bigger brakes/tires/larger engine" and I also suppose they also would for "Ace sound system upgrade". Insurance companies are not there to protect you but to milk every last cent out of you for any excuse. Heaven forbid that you actually make a claim! Dunno about folks outside of Canada but I think working-age males here work for entirely for gov't/insurance/ex-wives first and foremost and then get to spend whatever little is left, after.
                  There are insurance companies that will cover you.. however, before you commit, get a quote is my best piece of advice. if there isn't an increase and the mod has been approved, then you'll be fine... usually insurance companies will state somewhere in their policies that as long as the modification is "legal" then the upgrade is approved within the policy (i will presume to think that if the car doesn't require modifications; ie, mount and chassis modifications) then the policy will be approved and if it comes to it, then by-rights, paid out (is what i like to think).

i would definitely check with the insurance company and see if you can obtain a list of "approved" modifications.

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM. Reason: didn't quote to F3BZ's response.

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

NA capris had a F series Trans Xr2's had the G
                      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                        jaw, i have a festiva cradle out of the box but without having a 323 GTX cradle to set next to it i don't think a pic would help BUT to add to the confusion, here are the cutsheets from the festiva and 323 GTX engine/trans. not much help i know without comparative dimensions but since this is going to be an issue i will be facing in the future, i have given some thought to mating the capri engine/trans to the festiva mounting points. i envision making a cradle out of two heavy wall pieces of suitable tubing running essentially parallel with each other about the same distance apart as the width of the festiva stamped steel cradle (thus the sides of my custom cradle) and each one bent to take me from the firewall to the lower rad crossmember (with the appropriate changes in height and direction). then at the calculated points that i need to mount the trans brackets i'd weld a piece of formed or bent steel plate between the 2 pieces of tubing at a point and angle that would allow the capri trans mounts to set right onto. both ends of my "ladder" would also be closed with flatish metal pieces at the correct angle and be drilled to accept the festiva bushings and bolts. maybe some additional gussets here or there for strength. i'm sure the bending would be alot of trial and error but by then i'll be retired with hopefully alot of time to putz.

I understand they'll be different, however, i want to see if there is a slight difference in the following:

-Mounting height between the Mazda 323 Crossmember (B series chassis) and the Ford Festiva Crossmember (D series chassis) (how high the mounting spots are ON the crossmember, possibly alleviating the spacer issue)
                        -Where the positions are for BOLTING the crossmember to the festiva (if they are compatible positions or not or would it require slight modification(s))
                        -Whether or not the crossmember was cast slightly forward or backwards to overcome the mounting distance issue which presents itself with the G-series transmissions.

The reason i think like this is that both cars are they are both technically a mazda, That the year range is within the same decade(s) and design is close/similar to each other and all basically the same size in length. i was thinking a crossmember also with the support for a B6 as stock as this would be automatically accommodating to the B6 (strength wise (i know, it's a crossmember, but sometimes you never know), mount position and orientation), The engine mounting areas would be also more accommodating as well (Positioned in a more "necessary" spot for the B6 within the engine bay (i am also aware that the engine bay dimensions would be close, but by how much is another thing too)..

The wheelbase length would give us some hint to whether or not the crossmember from each car would be a possible suitable donor.

i found this on ebay and thought http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMj...OQ0w~~60_3.JPG

image supplied by http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1990-1994...ht_1074wt_1275

also i found this http://www.autopanels-castleford.co....AZDA%20121.jpg.. i know totally irrelevant but something cool to add to the collection.

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                          NA capris had a F series Trans Xr2's had the G
                          Are you sh****ng me lol???

sorry for my french.. hrrrm ok now, i have the Ford Capri XR2 Non-turbo. never heard a turbo on it. the transmission looks completely different from a glance (but i'll be pulling them to get a better view and i'll take some photos, also capri trans looks longer)... unless there have been changes i'm not aware of (previous owner has used a after market transmission and transmission isn't stock.

What gives me the impression that i have the g-series is the fact that changing gears is much closer together (not as much distance between gears) between the capri transmission and the Festiva transmission.
                          Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM.

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

That's all in the shift linkage. Post pics and we can tell you if its f or g. Nothing wrong with an f series transmission, just use what you got.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                              I would definitely check with the insurance company and see if you can obtain a list of "approved" modifications.
                              You and I both know there is no such thing as "approved mods" unless it involves add-on airbags, electric motors or smaller engines and even then insurance companies will find a way to hit you up for more money since any mod presumably adds value to a stock car.

Comment

Working...
                              X