Me and my hopes for a `06 Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my hopes for a `06 Festiva

Well, in my mind at least. I went looking at the current 2006 Rio5 this weekend and had one of the most bizzare experiences I ever have had at a dealership.

I am interested in the Rio5 because to me it is the the direct heir to the Pride (/festiva) on the Kia side of the relationship. Besides I'm also looking for a MiniVan to replace my Mazda6 family wagon, and the Sedona would make sense. There's a funny story about that, but on with the show.

The dealership also sells Jeeps, GMC, and a number of other minor auto-manufacturers. I believe it had five insignia's in total on its walls. I pull in with the Mazda6 wagon, driving slowly up one side of the lot to the other looking for a Rio5 and Sedona. Both ways I passed a large gruff mechanic looking fellow talking to a clean-cut Richie Cunningham impersonator with a flat-top. They seemed to look at me like small town folk look at passers-by, like it is all the action they've seen in a day.

As luck would have it, the minivans and the Rio5's were on opposite ends of the lot. Various Jeeps, trucks and cars were in between. I park and go to the minivans, seeing as they were the closest to the customer parking lot.

Out of a gazebo in the middle of the lot comes this young woman who I can only figure was there sunbathing in a tank-top and jean skirt. But she had a clip-board and asked if I was finding everything okay. I figured she must be affiliated with the joint somehow. I told her I was doing fine, but when she asked if I wanted to speak with a sales-representative I accepted the offer.

She disappears and a few minutes later Richie Cunningham emerges with a smile and a hand-shake. He asks me what I'm looking for, and I tell him the minivan and the Rio5. He blinks, and seems confused.

"Which do you want to see?" he asks.

"Do I have to choose just one?"

"No, but which is the one you are more ready to buy?"

"The Rio5. I need a commuter car now, and the upgrade in a few months."

"The Mazda, is it yours?"

"Yes, it is the family car."

"Are you sure you wouldn't want a Spectra5?" He asks me this about a half dozen times again during my visit.

"No, I just want the Rio5."

"Is that Mazda really yours?"

Yes, as it turns out the Mazda6 really is mine. It is, my family car. At this news his confusion grows. Long gone is the smile, now I only see consternation and bewilderment. I have no idea what he's hung up on, I just know I don't care. Get me to the Rio5.

As it turns out they only have one on the lot, a nice black one. Looking at it up close I have flash-backs to the ol' Festiva. Its like I know where everything is, but now it is all new and it looks like its grown up nicely. The sales-rep says, "Oh darn it doesn't have a lock box on it, are you sure you don't want a Spectra5?"

"Isn't this a lock box?" I reply pointing at a metallic box flung over the passenger window with a circular key-hole on it.

And as it turns out my suspicions were correct. Soon he gets the keys out and I barely have room to slip into the car.

I fit nicely, lots of headroom like the old festiva. I look around to the back and to the front of the interior. Its all quite nice. It was give the award of the most improved car for 2006 for a good reason. I liked it.

The mileage is a bit better than I remember for the Festiva, and it has a 1.6L. All of this is really good considering its about 50% heavier. I'm getting excited about the car.

At this point the sales-rep completely abandons me, leaving me the key to the car and his card.

No matter, I continue to look at the under-carriage and engine. I play with folding the seats, which unfortunately don't fold down flat from front to back like the ol' Festiva did. I can't tell you how many nights it became my mini-bego, comfortably sleeping one or two people.

After about a half hour I go into the dealer and ask for a brochure for both the Rio5 and the Sedona. Relaying my story to the manager, he seems upset but polite enough to get me on my way with the information I requested.

I pull away, now having my sights squarely on the Rio5 and a few ideas of what I want to do to customize it. Someday.

Today I'm getting a 2000 Chevy Metro just to get me to work and back. As it turns out, at current prices the cost of gas for a whole year between the Metro 1.0L (which is extremely fuel efficient) and the 1998 Sentra 1.6L (which is only very fuel efficient) is $500. Such is life.

the rio5 makes me think more of a focus 5 door than a festiva.

well think of all that money your saving on car payments :lol:
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

Focus

A five door Focus, I would imagine would be more like what I wish I could be getting for a minivan -- the Mazda5 which is based on the Mazda3 (which is what the Focus is based on). If it only had room for a double stroller with all the seats up.

Something someone told me recently probably resonates with your point though...

It's too bad the era of dirt-cheap, super fuel economical basic transportation, like Geo Metros and Yugos and Daihatsus, ended. Now fuel economy is a "luxury", where you have to pay a premium for it.
      Too true.

Comment

minivans and great gas mileage dont go hand in hand though do they.

i have an old toyota 4x4 van, i like it alot but only 21 or so in town. i was surprised how poorly the minivans do on gas. they all gotta have that horsepower these days. i dont get it do the women race to the store in em or what.

ever thought of getting a diesel and doing the veggie oil conversion?
        "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." -Mohandas Gandhi

Comment

thisis the closest you will get to a "06 festiva" in north america anyways

or a new mini.

Comment

I was glad to see Honda and Toyota re-enter the super-compact market. But here is where I imagine myself... Other cars might be in the same class as the old festiva, but this one has a true lineage.

bigger picture

Internationally the Festiva/Pride came in sedan and 4door versions and were sold until just recently when the Rio came out. The Wikipedia notes that the Rio is the successor to the Pride/Festiva.

Comment

still mazda based engines in the new rios?

Comment

I think they have Hyundai engines now. I don't think there is any relationship anymore between Mazda and Kia

Toyota and Honda have the market on fuel efficient gasoline engines for the low cost market.

With all the crap cars need now, airbags, comfy seats, the sub-compacts (Yaris / Fit) are not much lighter or fuel efficient than their compact big sisters (Corolla / Civic)

I don't think any car company could churn out a sub 100 HP car and not be laughed at
                I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

And, Mazda only uses Ford based engines these days. Though their 2.3 (especially the turbo/ direct injected) has more Mazda engineering in it than Ford.

At least that is how I understand it. I could be wrong.

All I really know is that the 3.0 Duratec V6 in my Mazda6 is one of the best engines I've ever throttled.

Comment

Have seen several commercials lately for a Mazda, I think it is a cx7, not entirely certain on that one. Not sure if it wants to be the new Festiva, or not.

Just my 2 cents, tho.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

I went to see the Cx-7, its roughly the size of it's cousin the Ford Freestyle. Coincidentaly, Mazda is phasing out the MPV for the Cx-9 due out soon. This is curious to me since the Mazda8 (which is Japan's MPV) is absolutely gorgeous. I'd by the 8 in a heartbeat.

IIRC, the Escape by Ford is based on the the Mazda Demio, which is Mazda's child of the Festiva. Don't quote me on that though, I don't pretend to understand car lineages that well.

Comment

Working...
                      X