RPM Question?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM Question?????????

I am wondering if somebody can tell me what RPM your 4speed is turning at 60mph and what your 5speed is turning at 60mph.I have a 4speed and just curious how much gas mileage difference I am going to see.I am new to the festiva but I did have over the years several geo metros.
    1989 Festiva L-4 speed Carby

Its a decent difference, like 3200 down to 2500 rpm or so. Maybe good for 5 mpg give or take.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Wow I didn't think it would be that much difference.Thanks
      Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Its a decent difference, like 3200 down to 2500 rpm or so. Maybe good for 5 mpg give or take.

Comment

4 speed to 5 speed is huge on the highway... around town, very little difference.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Wait a minute. I thought final drive ratio was the same for 4 and 5 speeds. Only difference is ability to accelerate on the way up there.

Comment

Bert, 4th in a 5 speed is the same as 4th in a 4 speed. Not necessarily true for all cars, but for Festivas thats is the case.
            Last edited by htchbck; 04-25-2013, 07:42 AM.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

What is the final ratio on the festiva anyways????????
              Originally posted by htchbck View Post
              Bert, 4th in a 5 speed is the same as 4th in a 4 speed. Not necessarily true for all cars, but for Festivas thats is the case.

Comment

All the ratios are the same. Except some early 4 speeds supposedly have different gearing.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

what is the # like 4.30, 4.06 etc or what?????????
                  Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                  All the ratios are the same. Except some early 4 speeds supposedly have different gearing.

Comment

most festys are 3.66 (iirc) and that oddball 4 speed is 3.8*

and Bert, final drive IS the same between 4 and 5 speed (final drive = pinion and ring gear ratio only, NOT the sum of the gear ratios)
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you.Bill
                      Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      most festys are 3.66 (iirc) and that oddball 4 speed is 3.8*

and Bert, final drive IS the same between 4 and 5 speed (final drive = pinion and ring gear ratio only, NOT the sum of the gear ratios)

Comment

According to post 9 in the below link, there may be a difference in each gear ratio and the final drive ratio between 4 spds and 5 spds.

Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Great information,that's what I was looking for,Thank you.Bill.banana time
                          Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                          According to post 9 in the below link, there may be a difference in each gear ratio and the final drive ratio between 4 spds and 5 spds.

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...mission+ratios

Comment

In real life what RPM are you turning at 60mph with the 4speed and stock tires 12" tires and what RPM are you turning at 60mph with the 5speed and stock tires 12" tires ??????
                            Thank you Bill

Comment

If it helps, here's the relevant page from my '93 Kia owner's manual:

IMG_0001.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X