Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it comes to buying a repair manual...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBBulldogs View Post
    What is best? I know I must hear this all the time that Chilton's is better than Haynes or Haynes is better than Chilton's. What is better? Does it matter?
    If you buy anything other than the Ford Factory (Blue Looseleaf) you are wasting your money. IMHO
    '88 LX (VIN#30) one of the first Built 12/86
    '88 L (VIN#55753) Built 12/87
    '93 GL one of the last Built 5/19/93

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
      The only way to scan properly is via surgery. For the sake of science? Maybe I should just buy another set to sacrifice?
      1989 was a very good year.
      Is image text searchable? or would I have to convert it first?
      We are just now at the 25 year copyright limit, I beliieve. So, I'm not an attorneybut I think we can post public domain materials on this website. if I am not mistaken the Festiva Manual is 25 years old this year. Thatmay or may not put it in the public domain. So who has a cousin that knows a Copyright Attorney?
      OMG we need a 25 year party for all those '88 out there waiting patiently to be recognized as the true gems they are. We need to celebrate, but I'm not driving my '88 to the east coast, sorry.

Comment

Is public domain considered to be ff.com members checking for errors?
        XF, check the picture in post #12.
        She already shipped the scanner earlier today. The entire eBay transaction was completed in less than an hour this morning.
        I sure hope it is not mishandled during shipping. I also hope the new scanners have superior parking mechanisms.

I still don't know if I can make the scans searchable. Anybody know? Would I have to buy some OCR (optical character recognition) software? or would the scanner software already do that when it creates a pdf?
        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

When it comes to buying a repair manual...

I think adobe has a free PDF creator that has OCR built in. Either that or the PDF readers on most new operating systems can do OCR
          -Zack
          Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

ditto on getting the factory service manual. indespensible. TIP: the 1989 manual covers both EFI and FEEDBACK CARB festiva's and also maybe the 4 and 5 speed transmission and automatic. i know i just saw one on the BAY for $20. a steal.

Comment

It never hurts to have a complete collection of Festiva shop manuals for every year.
              I even have a few other transmission repair + vacuum manuals and wiring diagrams that are not pictured.
              It also doesn't hurt to have some Pride manuals also.
              I just need to get a microfiche or reference to all of the Ford part numbers with schematics.
              i'll mail you sets of fiches for the cost of postage but you'll have to find an old ford dealer fiche reader. they are really dense and the ones at the library won't work.

Comment

Best news I have ever heard on this website! Thank-you, thank-you and thank you very much. PM time.

Comment

winner! microfiche. can you figure a way to post on the web?

Comment

Presently, I put all of Festiva related stuff into a directory named festiva on my website. I just link to it. I could make an official website, but I don't want to compete with fordfestiva.com

Post the microfiche to me so that I can blow them up and pdf them. I will pay you immediately for postage. Thanks.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-09-2013, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Presently, I put all of Festiva related stuff into a directory named festiva on my website. I just link to it. I could make an official website, but I don't want to compete with fordfestiva.com

Post the microfiche to me so that I can blow them up and pdf them. I will pay you immediately for postage. Thanks.
                      i will bow to you if you can do that. there are about 12 transparencies that have EVERY part for EVERY U.S. ford car from 1990-98. i took them to a place that specializes in tranferring stuff like that to disc and he shook his head. that was about 5 yrs. ago so maybe there's some new technology but good luck.

Comment

I've got about five places I'm going to try first. I am sure one of them can handle it.
                        Beginning with the closest, of course. This will be immensely beneficial for all members. Thank-you.

At SABA Imaging Solutions, we love the challenge.

DRC microfilm scanning.

Access Systems.
                        From all media
                        For any format
                        For all systems

et al. (that's a Latin abbreviation for "and others")
                        Last edited by bravekozak; 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

I have found a discrepancy in the '88/'89 Ford Festiva Blue Loose Leaf Shop Manual using it on my '93 EFI. the pinpoint tests working in the EFI section call for an 8v test result. My car runs on 5v so all the EFI specs in the shop manual have to be "translated" from the older more rare unique short lived 8v system to the more common 5v that we all live with today. I have also noticed some components listed in the shop manual were dropped on the later MY.

Comment

Recommended Shop Manuals on EBay - 03/28/2013
                            1988 Festiva = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-Ford-Fe...item485359bb31
                            1990 Festiva = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Ford-Fe...item484e2a5863
                            1995 Aspire = http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Ford-As...item48534c0e07

Comment

Is a service manual same as a shop manual?

Comment

Originally posted by XFSE71 View Post
                                32 is a bit much, the 19.95 is more inline, I got mine for 10 but its worn, complete but well used, apparantly someone inherited a buttload of Ford manuals from a closed dealership as there were about 50 different ones from the same seller
                                He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                                1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                                1984 Ironhead Chopper
                                1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Working...
                                X