Best oil to use in my festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best oil to use in my festiva?

Ive got a 92 festiva with an auto trans and a/c, also has 135K miles. what would be the best oil and oil filter to use on my car? thanks
    Last edited by Pu241; 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM. Reason: clarity

Wix filters are the best. I believe they make Purolator as well (Advanced Auto).

Valvoline, Mobil, or Shell Rotella for me! 10W30. Haven't felt froggy enough to try synthetic as I don't want the leaks.
    93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

I use 5w30 Supertech Synthetic(which has been tested to be nearly identical to Royal Purple, but like what, 1/4 the price?) and purolator filters
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

FoMoCo or Mopar filters and Mobil 5k. Though reading that last post, I might be switching to Stupidtech. Source for the test?

Nah, think I'll just stick to Mobil 5k. The price difference isn't enough to worry about IMO.

Last edited by sketchman; 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I use Castrol 5w30 Hi mileage, its semi synthetic, & K&N filter.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

synthetic doesn't cause leaks, the additive package just cleans better and shows the leaks that were already there....
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I have been using the Rotella T in my B6 swap since it was done.
              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I use rotella in pretty much everything.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Mobil Delvac 15w40 and Wix filter.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                    I use 5w30 Supertech Synthetic(which has been tested to be nearly identical to Royal Purple, but like what, 1/4 the price?) and purolator filters
                    That's interesting! Where do you get that stuff? I saw a lab test for wear testing of engine oils and Royal Purple cleaned house over the other brands, 10 years ago. I've been running synthetics for 22 years now and the first engine I put it in (when it was at 100,000km) still does not burn any oil at 500,000km. Synthetic does not 'wick off' from parts meaning that engine wear at start up is considerably reduced, nor does it dry out seals like conventional oils do. Because it doesn't break down, and because it's expensive, I have extended my service intervals to 10,000km (6000miles) right from the beginning and have had no regrets.

Comment

I just put 8K on my Aspire with the Supertech 5w30 and it didnt use any oil. But for giggles I switched to Mobil 1 this last oil change. I think I'm averaging 3k a month,yeesh thats a lot of B3ing! And yes Puralator filters from Wally-World.
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 05-03-2013, 07:40 AM.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I use 10w30 Mobile One Full Synthetic and Fram High Mileage oil filter. Been using Mobile One Full Synthetic in all my cars for the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          FoMoCo or Mopar filters and Mobil 5k. Though reading that last post, I might be switching to Stupidtech. Source for the test?

Nah, think I'll just stick to Mobil 5k. The price difference isn't enough to worry about IMO.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2544377&page=1

Also a comparison of more typical brands:

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          That's interesting! Where do you get that stuff? I saw a lab test for wear testing of engine oils and Royal Purple cleaned house over the other brands, 10 years ago. I've been running synthetics for 22 years now and the first engine I put it in (when it was at 100,000km) still does not burn any oil at 500,000km. Synthetic does not 'wick off' from parts meaning that engine wear at start up is considerably reduced, nor does it dry out seals like conventional oils do. Because it doesn't break down, and because it's expensive, I have extended my service intervals to 10,000km (6000miles) right from the beginning and have had no regrets.
                          It's Wal-Mart house brand
                          Buck.
                          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

The best oil for your car is hard to prescribe. I would recommend full synthetic oil and name brand filter with an anti-drainback valve. Persoanlly I avoid things like SuperTech and FRAM.

Comment

As long as you change your oil often, and use the proper viscosity oil. You won't ever have a problem.

Though I would avoid the super cheap filters though. Purolator Classic is the cheapest filter I would personally use, and is actually what I use.

My top 3 filter brands would have to be.

1. Wix
                              2. Motorcraft (Essentially Wix Filters)
                              3. Purolator (They are the cheapest, and easiest to find, available at Wal-Mart, Kmart, and also a local chain Mejier carries them as well and carries all three tiers of Purolators as well.

I run conventional Supertech 5w-30, because it's cheap and not synthetic. I have bad valve stem seals, and running synthetic will just have me burning way more oil, and will leak helluva lot more out of my valve cover gasket.
                              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-03-2013, 01:35 PM.
                              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                              X