Tool thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool thread.

Soo is Maynard actually writing stuff for a Tool album, or just making more wine and pasta? Wait, that's not the tool I wanted to start a thread about.
    Some of the other boards I frequent have a tool thread of some sort, and while we've had the odd derail of other threads on the subject we've never had a dedicated thread.
    Many of us are tradesmen here and our tools are a direct source of our livelihood, but even those of us who aren't still use them. Working on your own car is a pretty common aspect of Festiva ownership. And we all have a favorite. We've all bought something that looked cool but ended up being useless or breaking unexpectedly. So let's talk about them!

I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of reviews:

Knipex Plier Wrench

Like a cross between channel locks and an adjustable wrench. The force multiplication you get out of these things with that cam/tongue mechanism is ridiculous (I've used them to convert regular nuts to stovers), and the smooth jaws and the general design of the tool usually stops you from wrecking the fastener if you try to push it past it's limits. Also the jaws always stay parallel. Very handy for tube and pipe fittings. Mac sells a rebadged version of the same tool, and I've seen them badged as Blue Point (but I don't see them in my Snappy catalog anymore so they must have stopped). Get the biggest size your dealer can get (300mm is uncommon but available, 250 is still useful and all over the place), and a smaller one (150 or 200) is also useful.

CP 7733 1/2" Impact
    Cheap and tough as nails. This was my go-to 1/2" impact when I was running a service truck, and the one I had lasted 3 years running on an extremely wet air supply in every environment you can think of (and go ahead and think of some really dusty, gritty environments). It got tossed around, fell on the ground more times than I'd like to admit, even ran over it with a gravel truck. The only oil it ever saw was whatever blew past the seals of my failing underhood compressor, and in the winter I regularly dosed my whole air system with straight methyl. Of all the air tools I carried on that truck this was usually the last one to freeze. And that impact, after three grueling years of me beating and abusing the everloving snot out of it is still in service (albeit inside the shop now).
    They don't put out mega torque like the prettier guns you see around-you can expect about 150-200 ft.lbs out of it if you hammer until the socket stops moving- but the output doesn't decay much as the gun wears and it will put that 200lbs out in any weather, any situation you can think of.
    Also rebuild kits are readily available and they're pretty simple inside. Anybody could rebuild one, and doing so is a very good introduction to how vane motors and impact mechanisms work.

Dale Adams ROUGH RIDER creeper
    I bought one because of the huge casters (bigger than the ones on my toolbox- and almost as big as stock Festiva tires), since the concrete floor in my shop is in terrible shape and to make matters worse the boss only buys that really coarse crappy floor-dry (and spills under a vehicle are common in a HD transmission shop), and there's nothing worse than a stuck creeper caster.
    It kinda sucks. I'm 6'4", 250lbs and I find myself constantly being charlie-horsed by the big lumps at the corners. The "cushion" feels like a pile of screwdrivers on my neck and puts my head in an awkward position (too far back). And I always end up lying in an awkward diagonal position on it. It would probably be more comfortable for a smaller dude but it's not working for me. Buuut it was way too expensive to ditch it and get another one so I'll stick to it and see if I get used to it. :-/

The knucklehead has earned a spot on my box.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

My favorite tool..

Amazing deals on this 3/4In Dr 18In Ratchet at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

I've used the crap out of that for over a year now, the head is starting to get loose but it's still working fine.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Sorry about the deficiencies of this creeper.
        I did make the plastic that went into this.
        But the design wasn't mine, just the formulation for the structure.
        Do they still make it in the deep red color?
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

My favorite tool.

Comment

This is my favorite & most used tool, comes in handy for tasks of all kinds.

And it's super stylish too!

I also have a pair of newer 5-LED versions which are much brighter but burn through batteries at a much accelerated rate.
            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Sorry about the deficiencies of this creeper.
              I did make the plastic that went into this.
              But the design wasn't mine, just the formulation for the structure.
              Do they still make it in the deep red color?
              Yeah my issue with it is purely ergonomic. They're almost indestructible-that's another part of the reason I bought it. One of my trailer mechanic buddies has one and he's accidentally run it over with his shop's yard truck (which is a Ford Louisville with an 855-400 Cummins and an attitude problem, so cool) 3 times. The last time he rolled over it the wheel finally busted through the hump, which he repaired with a piece of tin and pop rivets, and is still using it.
              And yes they're still deep red.

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              This is my favorite & most used tool, comes in handy for tasks of all kinds.

And it's super stylish too!

I also have a pair of newer 5-LED versions which are much brighter but burn through batteries at a much accelerated rate.
              I like them when I'm camping. Until I drink too much, forget it's on my head and inadvertently blind anyone I start a conversation with.
              Last edited by Tommychu; 05-03-2013, 11:22 PM.

Comment

We have had a compact snap-on jump starter for a year or so at the shop and the dang thing is amazing. My son actually bought it so he took it bow hunting and it was handy as all get out I am told. I am sure it was embellished a little because the old man is using much larger older technology in my festy while traipsing around the back country and camping. Here is one like ours at the shop:

I noticed several more brands that may do the same thing, also on the bay, anyone recommending one over another?
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I want the knipex does anyone know where I can get a deal on one?

Comment

Working...
                  X