A difficult choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A difficult choice?

Hey All - My son's graduating from college down in northern cali, and with him is his '91 Buick Century.
    He got it from his grandmother who passed in Feb. of 2012. 65,000 original, no care-no repair miles.
    Not a single problem back and forth from Humboldt to Seattle. Ice cold air, front bench seat, new tires,
    Maaco BMW Steel Blue paint job ($400.00), new battery and Flowmaster exhaust. Totally de-chromed
    and mono painted. Almost a hint of a 5 Series.
    Long story short. My Dad passed in Dec. and my son always coveted my Dads 2007 Chevy Malibu Maxx.
    We,ve decided to buy it from Dad's estate as a graduation gift.
    Anyway - A tale of 2 cars. Can only keep 1. I'm leaning strong on keeping my Festy. Has anyone else ever been tempted by cold a/c, yards of velour and ashtrays, and power steering you can turn with your pinky?
    Last edited by seattlestiva; 05-05-2013, 07:53 PM.

Yep, then I considered the fuel bill, and walked away.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

It takes more than just a pinky to add power steering fluid, let alone replace a PS hose or pump, etc. if it goes bad.

I had two K cars I needed to check PS fluid. Now, I don't. I consider this "freedom from unnecessary stuff."

Plus what Sketch said!

YMMV,

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I loved my '93 Mercury Grand Marquis. Definitely not the same car, but on the same line... Big powerful boat with a sofa front seat... everything at your fingertips, I loved everything about it except for buying gas.. Even at 18-22mpg, which is decent for a huge car like that, I couldn't justify it.

It still serves a purpose; towing the camper.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I've owned 3 Centurys and loved each one. They last forever, are easy and cheap to fix and get good gas mileage for what they are. One day though, I found myself in the same boat as you. For lack of room, I had to choose between the Buick and the Festy.

Still miss my Century though. Might have to buy another.
          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Good cars, low miles, comfy, decent mpg, NOT huge. LOVE a/c. Is it the 3.3? What in the world keeps you from storing it and swapping it into rotation every couple of months? And really? Can't just keep it? The insurance is nothing.
            youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

No AC in your Festy?

Scrounge for parts and install a system.

That's what I plan on doing.
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Festiva's have air conditioning? I've been driving mine for almost 23 yrs without ac. It's been driven from Nashville,TN to Panama City Beach FL to Raleigh,NC lots of times.
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

i say keep festy and see if your son has a real close friend that would take care of the other and then donate to him.
                  ;
                  www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                  rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                  '92 Festiva L M/T
                  '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

park the festiva for a few months. See if you really like the new car.

Comment

Working...
                    X