spring fling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring fling

after 4 weekends of putzing around with this cobbled up spring tester i thought i'd start to get some hard values for the various lowering and stock springs. unfortunately the china made bathroom scale couldn't take the pressure. besides, it looked like i would've reached the 300 lb. limit of the scale if i compressed it beyond the installed height of 10 inches (front) let alone any further compression. i'm going to look for a good scale with a higher capacity. about 500 lb. should handle it. i'll probably have to re-frame the new scale unless it happens to be the same size as this one. when i do, i plan to comparison test the H&R and FMS lowering and also STOCK coils front and rear inch by inch to get some real world numbers for every inch of compression. watch this space.

Comment

you could rig a cantilever system to take your measurements at 1/2 or 1/4 value... just a thought seeing that high capacity scales are kinda 'spensive.... and this way you could use a digital scale without fear of breaking it.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Very clean aparatus you have there, look at harbor frieght, they have the exact scale you need I believe
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

I would like to ask your permission to send a picture of your low budget Instron to a couple of lab friends of mine.

Comment

Nice! And a perfect way to scientifically help dispel some of the 'biggest fish' stories that always seem to abound in these forums.

Comment

ya brave, go right ahead. but i'm going to the patent office tomorrow so's i can make tons off the royalties.
              i will check out harbor freight this weekend but i swear i already looked for a lardo scale there. maybe their website. that will be basically my only expense in this since everything else was borrowed permanently from work and the 2 4" PVC end caps were dirt cheap. i got a healthy respect for the potential energy these have just compressing it to the installed height so i also need to rig uo a safety cable to the spring. anybody know what the length of the "installed height" of the rear springs would be since they aren't captured in a hat? i'll just measure the ones in my 4 festivas and take an average.

Comment

Working...
              X