New Project Post-Purchase Preparations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project Post-Purchase Preparations

Okay enough alliteration in the title! Suffice it to say that regardless of what I do with my Festiva, I'm going to be picking up a new project at the end of the month - a 1987 Suzuki Forsa Turbo. The only issue with it currently is a dead alternator and the fact that it's a demanding mountainous two hour drive to get it home. I want to ensure it makes the trip successfully, so I visited the local auto parts shop and put in a big clearance order on Rock Auto for parts. I have no idea how well the car has been treated as of yet, but the pictures and info I've received look very promising thus far. I have put together a post-purchase pre-driving maintenance agenda if I like what I see. All I need from you guys is any recommendations or additions for things I should look for, check, and adjust before making the drive. I may not have time/electricity/hose for larger jobs, so keep that in mind.

Clean and tighten battery terminals.
    Test alternator output and battery voltage.
    Tension drive belts and check all wires and hoses.
    Seafoam in the gas tank and oil crankcase.
    Anti-seize, gap, and torque new spark plugs.
    Install new spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor.
    Replace PCV valve and air filter.
    Replace wiper blades front and rear.
    Check tread, tire pressure, and re-torque lug nuts.
    Lubricate pedals, adjust parking break, and pedal free play.
    Check all fuses, fusible links, heater, radio, and lights.
    Top up coolant, oil, brake fluid, and windshield washer fluid.

Cheers,

Aaron
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Can we see some preliminary photos of it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
    The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Did a little research since I never heard of a Forsa. It's a 1985-88 Suzuki Swift/Chevy Sprint.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Having some trouble tracking down original matching paint from the local stores... but hopefully I can find some. Obviously I have some rust repair to do, and a fuel door to track down... but both of those things are non-turbo compatible to swap. Window tint needs removing and stickers too. I will obviously pack my Windex too haha. So if I can find one this colour in a junkyard, all the better!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          Did a little research since I never heard of a Forsa. It's a 1985-88 Suzuki Swift/Chevy Sprint.
          Yep, Rock Auto says Canada market only. Identical other than the grill and emblems I believe. I also think they only came in 3 cylinder turbo/non-turbo... there doesn't seem to be a Forsa GTi.

Comment

Nice. I've always liked the look of the little Geos better than a Festiva, and I was looking at pics of the little 3 cyl the other day. :drool:
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
              Nice. I've always liked the look of the little Geos better than a Festiva, and I was looking at pics of the little 3 cyl the other day. :drool:
              yea, you and many many other women in the US, like my aunt and cousin in law, like the look of the geo's too. :p

Aaron if you do end up getting that and have trouble with parts, I know where one (maybe 2) suzuki swifts are sitting next to a geo or two.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                Yeah I like the Mk1's a fair bit. Always loved hot hatches. Had this been available when I got my Festiva in 2007, I probably would have gotten this one!

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                yea, you and many many other women in the US, like my aunt and cousin in law, like the look of the geo's too. :p
                Aaron if you do end up getting that and have trouble with parts, I know where one (maybe 2) suzuki swifts are sitting next to a geo or two.
                Right year and colour? 1985-1988 and I think the paint code is 15R. Turbo?

Comment

Not to mention a Swift/Metro/Sprint/Forsa forum.....http://geometroforum.com/index/
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                    Not to mention a Swift/Metro/Sprint/Forsa forum.....http://geometroforum.com/index/
                    Yep, thanks Tom! Got that one and Teamswift.net already. RedlineGTI is good for the 4 cylinders, but Teamswift really rocks. They're loaded with amazing information: tons of info on Aspire-like swaps, running high boost, and audio stuff.

Comment

Take a big can of PB Blaster too Aaron! And maybe an impact wrench?

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                        Take a big can of PB Blaster too Aaron! And maybe an impact wrench?

Karl
                        Hey Karl,

Good call! I hadn't thought of either of those and we all know that WD40 just won't cut it for a job like that. Hopefully the bolts and lugs aren't too stubborn, but better safe than sorry. Hmm... power tools. I know! I'm going to bring a monstrously long extension cord and see if they will let me use a plug-in in their house or garage so I can charge the battery, run some tools, and so on.

Comment

Neat little ride there, good luck with the project
                          Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                          Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                          Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                          WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Updated list for my pre-road trip maintenance and post-road trip maintenance as well. I've done a lot of research on these cars, and they seem to be relatively easy to work on much the same as the B-series Mazda motors. I got a couple of good suggestions from this forum and others, and figured I'd share it with you guys in case anybody's in a similar situation in the future. Any amendments are welcome. My tools are all packed up and ready to go pick up the project.

Here's the list of stuff I'll do before driving it home:

1) Lubricate hinges, latches, locks, and pedals.
                            2) Adjust parking break, pedal height, and free-play.
                            3) Check fuses, links, heater, and radio.
                            4) Check lights and change wiper blades.
                            5) Check tread, tire pressure, and lug nut torque.
                            6) Clean terminals and grounds and charge battery.
                            7) Clean alternator and check battery voltage.
                            8) Check all hoses, belts, and wires.
                            9) Top-up coolant, brake, and WW fluid.
                            10) Change transmission fluid.
                            11) Oil change, drain plug, Seafoam, and filter.
                            12) Install new spark plugs and wires.
                            13) Install new distributor cap and rotor.
                            14) Install PCV valve and air filter.
                            15) Seafoam and fill gas tank.

And what I plan to do when I get it home:

1) Vacuum, steam clean, and deodorize interior.
                            2) Install floor mats and larger rear view mirror.
                            3) Remove all stickers, decals, and emblems.
                            4) Check brakes, remove rust/dust.
                            5) Wash car, wheels, rubber, glass, and lights.
                            6) Polish and colour restore paint job.
                            7) Seafoam engine interior.
                            8) Clean EGR valve filter and assembly.
                            9) Drain and flush coolant and heater hoses.
                            10) Engine bay power washing.
                            11) Oil change and filter again after a few hundred miles.
                            12) Sludge removal from valve cover, pickup, and oil pan.

Comment

Think you should consider replacing the fuel filter before making the return trip.
                              Especially, if you SeafoamŪ the fuel tank, who knows what will be broke loose and possibly clog the filter.
                              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                              '92 Aqua parts Car
                              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                              Your holy ghost will not save you.
                              Your God plutonium will not save you.
                              In fact...
                              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                              X