Best mpg with your festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
    My Festy has 185/60x14 tires, and a small homemade air dam on the front. What I described above is something I had looked into. Might do the 165/80x15 wheel setup for my Aspire, along with putting in a Festy 5-speed, for the taller final drive. And a small air dam along the bottom of the bumper. With all this, I would hope for 55 MPG, or close to it, at 60 MPH.

BTW I have gotten 50 MPG in city driving on my Festy, when it had the B3, by using hypermiling techniques. These techniques are practical, but you have to use judgment as to when, bearing traffic conditions in mind.
    55mpg at 60mph would be really good. I find that with my 12's my fuel efficiency takes a small hit even going 55 on the freeway. Have you ever seen a mpg vs mph chart for a manual festy? Im planning to get some mpg instrumentation for mine in couple weeks when a friend gets the parts that he ordered to make it. Until then it's just an educated guess for me where optimal mpg speed lies, but my guess is somewhere between 35-45. My best tank (64.7mpg) came on back roads where I was able to do allot of pulse and glide between those 2 ranges. I'm looking forward to getting some 14's on mine to see if it'll make a marked improvement. Thanks Tom.
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

As I understand it, wind resistance starts to become a factor at around 45 mph. Exactly at what speed it happens depends on the particular aerodynamics of a particular car. BTW, 64.7 is very impressive!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Right, unless you had come to a complete stop at a light.
        Gotcha. Just making sure I wasn't the only one. Everyone that rides with me thinks I'm crazy for doing that lol.
        Buck.
        -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
        -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
        -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
          I'm assuming y'all bumpstart after EOC?
          As much as possible.
          I need to look into getting LED headlights so up ignition/bump start there isn't such a large load on the engine via the alternator after a long EOC.
          Or for that matter sitting at a stop light with engine off, but headlights on.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
            Im planning to get some mpg instrumentation for mine in couple weeks when a friend gets the parts that he ordered to make it. Until then it's just an educated guess for me where optimal mpg speed lies, but my guess is somewhere between 35-45.
            Very interested in this.
            Could use it to determine the effectiveness of aero mods too!
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

As I understand it, wind resistance starts to become a factor at around 45 mph. Exactly at what speed it happens depends on the particular aerodynamics of a particular car. BTW, 64.7 is very impressive!
              This is true. The best mpg is found in the range of maximum engine effiency vs aero drag ratio. Since my 12 inch wheel festy already is right around 50% load at 45mph (on flat ground) and the festiva's have somewhat poor stock co-efficient drag (somewhere around .36-.38) which would put aero drag factors right around 35-45mph. My best guess is that 45 is max efficiency for my particular festy with the weight reduction and aero mods that I've done on it. I am definitely looking forward to getting instrumentation to confirm my theories though

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              As much as possible.
              I need to look into getting LED headlights so up ignition/bump start there isn't such a large load on the engine via the alternator after a long EOC.
              Or for that matter sitting at a stop light with engine off, but headlights on.
              I just switched to a bigger battery with more cranking amps and it became a non-issue.

Very interested in this.
              Could use it to determine the effectiveness of aero mods too!
              He's supposed to be getting parts in on Saturday. this is his page which will have an order button available when the product goes online http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
              Last edited by mikeyjd; 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM.
              My Fuel Log

Comment

This
                I just switched to a bigger battery with more cranking amps and it became a non-issue.

He's supposed to be getting parts in on Saturday. this is his page which will have an order button available when the product goes online http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
                It is less of a problem with a larger battery, but is still detectable, and I have a 900 CCA battery.

I thought the MPGuino was only good on OBDII vehicals?
                Otherwise, I would have got one years ago.
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K

In fact...

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The best mileage I've gotten is 52mpg. I've got theat twice. Avg speed was about 50mph. Just driving with a light foot on the accellerator.
                  I noticed in the past, mid 90's, that I got better mileage using Exxon gas and oil. Now that they put ethynol in it not sure that would make a difference.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

It is less of a problem with a larger battery, but is still detectable, and I have a 900 CCA battery.

I thought the MPGuino was only good on OBDII vehicals?
                    Otherwise, I would have got one years ago.
                    Nope. Maybe your thinking of a Scangauge. The whole reason for the do it yourself style MPGuino is for those of us who are pre obdII. I guess you've bee missing out unnecessarily all this time

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                    The best mileage I've gotten is 52mpg. I've got theat twice. Avg speed was about 50mph. Just driving with a light foot on the accellerator.
                    I noticed in the past, mid 90's, that I got better mileage using Exxon gas and oil. Now that they put ethynol in it not sure that would make a difference.
                    Nice job on 52mpg. And yes there is less potential energy in Ethynol, so it would stand to reason that it would have a negative impact on fuel economy.
                    My Fuel Log

Comment

Went to the JY today. In two 1994 Accords, I found space-saver rims in 15"x4", with 135/90x15 temporary tires.
                      Bolt pattern: 4x114.3 (Festy/Capri)
                      Cost: $10.00!
                      I bought one, and will buy a 165/80x15 tire (old VW Beetle size) for it.
                      Tire Rack sells one for $68: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
                      Tires-easy sells this one for $49: http://www2.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...ahrzeugart=PKW
                      Online tires sells wthis one for $47: http://www.onlinetires.com/user/vehi...allbrands.html

When I make sure it mounts well on the rim, I will buy another rim and tire, and make a gas mileage run. My Festy has Capri front brakes, so I can report on how it fits on there too. Before I bought it, I test-fit in on the front hub of a stock Festy in the JY.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Went to the JY today. In two 1994 Accords, I found space-saver rims in 15"x4", with 135/90x15 temporary tires.
                        Bolt pattern: 4x114.3 (Festy/Capri)
                        Cost: $10.00!
                        I bought one, and will buy a 165/80x15 tire (old VW Beetle size) for it. Tire Rack sells one for $68: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

When I make sure it mounts well on the rim, I will buy another rim and tire, and make a gas mileage run. My Festy has Capri front brakes, so I can report on how it fits on there too.
                        wow that sounds awesome! that might be quite ideal if it works out
                        Last edited by mikeyjd; 05-15-2013, 01:19 PM.
                        My Fuel Log

Comment

Also see my edits, Mikey. Same tire much cheaper at other places. At a VW online store, they sell this same tire for $89!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Also see my edits, Mikey. Same tire much cheaper at other places. At a VW online store, they sell this same tire for $89!
                            lol. my last two tires were 12'' off a jy festy and they called them "van spares" and gave me the rims and tires, which were just about brand new for 30$ total I would gladly pay 50$ per for some nice new 15's though if i could mount em on my festy. do you think clearance will be an issue?
                            My Fuel Log

Comment

lol. my last two tires were 12'' off a jy festy and they called them "van spares" and gave me the rims and tires, which were just about brand new for 30$ total I would gladly pay 50$ per for some nice new 15's though if i could mount em on my festy. do you think clearance will be an issue?
                              I'll check on fender clearance (at the top, when the spring is compressed) and strut clearance tomorrow. It might be necessary to remove the plastic fender liner to prevent scraping on bumps. In that case, coating the fender and body with spray-on bedliner would be a good idea. When I fitted the tire to the JY Festy, I noticed how close it was to both the fender liner and the strut, the latter due to how the space-saver wheel is made. Might need a 6mm spacer.

To install it on my Aspire, I would need a bolt-pattern adaptor to change it from the Festy to the Aspire bolt pattern; but no big deal, since I might need a spacer anyway and a 1" adaptor would also serve that function.
                              Here is a site that sells adaptors, $79 a pair: http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada.../4000-4000.htm

So, total costs for two tires/wheels/adaptors, plus shipping estimates:
                              JY space-saver wheels: $20
                              tires, mounted and balanced: $150
                              adaptors if needed: $90
                              So for a stock Festy knuckle or Capri brake swap, you're only into this for about $170.

Based on my own experiences doing MPG runs, I would estimate a properly set up stock Festy 5-speed with a 165/80x15 tire would get about 62 MPG @ 55 MPH, assuming no wind, and perhaps somewhat temperature-dependent. Even better, with aero mods!
                              Last edited by TominMO; 05-15-2013, 10:31 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Are you guys adjusting your speedometers for the different tire sizes? Or have you figured which tire sizes have the same circumference?
                                '91 1.3 5sp stock 220+?miles best=44mpg no EOC or surge and coast.

Comment

Working...
                                X