Engine Bay Clean Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bay Clean Up

Hey guys I'm going to clean my engine bay out on my 88' Mazda 323 GT. I'm going to just keep the essentials so that I can clean up the wiring. I searched the threads but I couldn't find anything about this.

Some advice on the clean up would be appreciated.

If not then you are going to see a lot of trial and error pictures and many a in the next month.

Thanks

I would start with air conditioning and power steering if you don't need those. Other items to remove would be window washer tank and EGR/emissions junk; if you have it. You could then relocate the fuse boxes and radiator overflow tank and stick the battery in the trunk.

These are just general suggestions. I haven't seen a 323 GT bay in real life.

Comment

^They are crammed full, and it sucks.

I did a power steering delete on mine when I had it. Cleaned it up a good bit.
      This is my stock bay IIRC.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

How hardcore do you want to take this cleanup? You can start with things like taking apart all of your hoses and pipes one by one and cleaning them. I recommend Simple Green very highly but don't keep it on aluminum for too long as it can eat away at it. Then go one by one with rusty brackets, retainers, and clamps until you get them up to spec. I can't help much when it comes to A/C and P/S because mine doesn't have either.

Keep in mind this is a Festiva bay, but I do have a mostly complete wiring tuck with my boxes, relays, and harness all in the driver's side fender. Consider picking up things like wiring loom and a vacuum distribution block. That way you can move all of your vacuum fittings to a hidden location like underneath the intake manifold.

If you look carefully along the firewall, you can see where my harness leads to.
        Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM.
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Hey Aaron,

This is actually a friend of mine and i will likely be helping him with this!

i actually thought you removed most of the stuff besides the obvious knock box and such. There is just so many little vacuum hoses and such i don't know which are mandatory and which i can take off! Was your engine bay cleanup more hiding things or removing things?

Comment

It's mostly hiding things. A lot of emissions components are missing from my engine bay though, since we don't have air care testing on the island. I am still running a high flow cat, but that's about it in terms of protecting the environment haha. You'll have to ask sasquatch/Mike for more details on what goes where since he's my main man when it comes to engine building... but in terms of vacuum lines and such, my recommendation would be to take a gander at your nearest factory service manual and trace them all one by one to see what's up.
            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

ya everything was pulled out and all the plugs where routed in to the fender IIRC... the cat is all that's left...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Working...
              X