Rock auto "cheapo" parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock auto "cheapo" parts?

Are the cheapo parts from Rockauto any good? Thay have "value" and "pro value" parts that are way cheaper than the name brands. I was wondering if anyone used the cheapo parts and had good or bad luck with them.
    I know I prolly should buy the name brand, but i've had 3 cars down at the same time, and its getting expensive to get them all running!
    BTW, its the front wheel bearing and hub assembly for a 2002 mazda B3000 4x4. (Its a Ford Ranger!)
    The cheapest name brand is Raybestos at $88, which is still a good price. The value pro is $57.

Thanks!
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

How is it that I just started this thread, and it doesnt show on "new posts"??????

29 minutes from 1st post to this post, and it doesnt show???

I've always wondered how it works.
    Last edited by drddan; 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM.
    Dan

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
      How is it that I just started this thread, and it doesnt show on "new posts"??????

29 minutes from 1st post to this post, and it doesnt show???

I've always wondered how it works.
      Once you've looked at a thread after awhile it does not show as new because it knows you've already seen it.
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Huh? ^
        Do you mean it doesnt show only to me, but others can see it?
        I am looking to buy above mentioned part today, before I go to work in an hour.
        Last edited by drddan; 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM.
        Dan

R.I.P.
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
          Huh? ^
          Do you mean it doesnt show only to me, but others can see it?
          I am looking to buy above mentioned part today, before I go to work in an hour.
          Yes, the new posts is specific for your login. Like when i don't check for 3 days it will say there are like 370 new posts...if I looked right now it would probably say like 5.
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Didnt know that.

Weird.
            Dan

R.I.P.
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I love cheap parts from Rock Auto... I've had amazing luck with all of them. There are some parts you shouldn't skimp on obviously, but that wholesale closeout program they run is killer for sure and very hard to beat. Only one mess up... and it wasn't even their fault. Some of the gaskets in the kit I ordered for my 323GT B6T rebuild were SOHC or duplicates rather than DOHC.
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Well thanks, Aaron!!!!

I am leary of cheap parts. Got burned a couple times, but I like a good deal with cheap prices, especially right now!
                I will try the value pro brand at $57 then. I hope I dont have to change it again! lol

It will at least get me through my money issues of fixing 3 vehicles.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I tend to spend the extra money now to save the hastle later.
                  91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                  06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                  95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

I used all their house brand (DNJ) parts on my rebuild. Pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets,etc.. The quality of everything I got was impressive. The one name brand item I got (oil pump) was a Beck-Arnley and the bypass valve was stuck. It was on clearance and looked like it had been sitting on a shelf for 20 years. Guess I should have got the DNJ oil pump, LOL.
                    Last edited by blkfordsedan; 05-15-2013, 10:18 PM.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

My knee-jerk reaction is to always buy the best parts I can find. Especially for safety-related items. Also, the more hassle the part is to replace (like front wheel bearings for example), the more inclined I am to buy brand name.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I can only reply in reference to suspension parts, I.E ball joints, tie rods, etc. I work at a local auto parts store. We sell both Moog suspension and the cheaper "federated" branded parts of the same part number. We've had many of the cheaper parts fail, and fail quickly. So for suspension at least, I'd go with the best you can get.
                        If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
                        Mark S.

Comment

Well its a done deal now. I bought the Value Pro Wheel Bearing/Hub assemblies (2) from rock auto for $57 each, for a 2002 Mazda B3000 4x4.
                          Dont care right now if it goes bad in a year. As mentioned, I had 3....count 'em....3 vehicles down at the same time.
                          Took the festy down for bearings on a friday, my truck blew a clutch slave cylinder saturday morning, and then my girlfriends Mazda 4x4 blew an auto hub on sunday morning.
                          I had to rent a car to get to work for crap's sake! Jan had to borrow her sisters husbands truck
                          So between 3 cars down, trying to fix 'em, and renting a car for 3 days, I spent a good chunk of change in the past week and a half! :shock:

$123 delivered for 2 of them. I hope they hold up!
                          Last edited by drddan; 05-17-2013, 03:48 AM.
                          Dan

R.I.P.
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Working...
                          X