Adding rear wiper to L Hatch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding rear wiper to L Hatch?

Has anyone ever tried just drilling a hole big enough, and then mounting a rear wiper assembly into a hatch from an L model?

I mean wouldn't all the mounts still be there?

I just really don't want to go through the trouble of finding a white GL/LX hatch just for a wiper, but not having a rear wiper is killing me.
    When it rains pretty good, I can't see for crap out the window, and have to resort to my side mirrors. (Which used to just the single driver's side, until I got some power mirrors)

So I would really like to have a rear wiper.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

First off, have you played around with products like RainX at all? With a completely cleaned and scrubbed rear window and a coat of RainX, the rain should bead and fly off the windows as you drive... making rear visibility considerably easier to manage. Considerably easier and cheaper than retrofitting a rear wiper assembly, and may prove a welcome modification for your other windows as well.

I believe a proper size hole saw would permit the installation of the system. After all, my Festiva is wired for a rear wiper setup and yours likely is too. I found it right by the right rear tail light next to the rear speaker wiring and the taillight harness. Don't remember the colours off hand though.

A little off topic, but another thing I found that was really helpful with rear visibility beyond the RainX was the installation of a universal extra-large rear view mirror to eliminate my blindspots.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Somewhere in the depths of the forum, this has been documented with measurements. Search with quotes around your query
      -Zack
      Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
        Has anyone ever tried just drilling a hole big enough, and then mounting a rear wiper assembly into a hatch from an L model?
        I mean wouldn't all the mounts still be there?
        I just really don't want to go through the trouble of finding a white GL/LX hatch just for a wiper, but not having a rear wiper is killing me.
        When it rains pretty good, I can't see for crap out the window, and have to resort to my side mirrors. (Which used to just the single driver's side, until I got some power mirrors)
        So I would really like to have a rear wiper.
        Would you like to have all the parts off one cheap? I have a 93 LX hatch sitting around and did at one time give some thought to doing a washer/wiper swap. Just getting the supply hoses out of the pillar and that feed the squirter on the hatch is a fiddle f&*k job. I can't even imagine wanting to drill the holes with bayonet slots in them and try to feed in new hose. Easier for you to find an LX hatch and then fuss around with trying to hook up the washer bottle.

Comment

The factory wiper arm hole is an oval. I changed hatches because of that + the rear spray nozzle keyhole + I wanted to have the factory spoiler holes as well.

If you still want to drill a round hole, then read thread 9935.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah, completely forgot about the sprayer nozzle. Also didn't realize the hole is an oval, then again I didn't really look close enough.

I thought about rain-x, but liked the idea of a wiper, I guess this is what I will have to go with the rain-x till I have the money for a complete hatch.

Luckily there is some rain-x stuff in the garage my folks never used, just been sitting around.

Thanks for the info.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

I ended up just putting the wiper on and not the spray nozzle. Works fine for me
              91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

The width of the oval is exactly 1.089" and the height is exactly 1.266".
                I bought myself a new oval rear wiper arm cover on the last Four Green group buy.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 05-17-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

just type in rear wiper install and there's a post that shows step for step

Comment

Working...
                  X