Tire mounting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire mounting question

Before I go spending bux on a couple of tires, I want to make sure I can actually do this. What I want to do is mount a 165/80x15 regualar tire (old VW Beetle size) onto a 15x4" rim.

Is it possible to mount regular tires on space-saver rims? Is there something unique in how the bead is constructed in space-saver tires/rims that makes them incompatible with regular tires/rims?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

One of the 13 inch rims on my Festy is the space saver rim that came with it. Regular tire beads are perfectly compatible. The only reason its not recommended on most cars is because the space saver rims are so narrow. But on Festy the space saver rim isnt much narrower than the other steel 13 inch rims I got from junkyard when I went from 12s to 13s. And its kinda funky having one bright yellow rim....

I used to mess lot with old Volvos that also used the Beetle style narrow 15 inch rims. A 165/80x15 should fit ok on 15x4 rim. At most it might be slightly bulgy sidewalls but not dangerous or anything.

Shops tend not to want to mount regular tires to space saver rims for liability reasons. Remove space saver tire and warning label from rim before taking it in. And clean the glue off the bead area of rim, space saver tires have beads glued. Most mounters wont look for the size stamped into the steel of rim. Or just mount it yourself like I did. If you know how to remove the old tire at home, you are perfectly capable mounting a new tire. Then just take it in to get it balanced if you want.

Comment

Good points, thanx!
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Nice, great idea for mpg's !! pics when you get it done!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Will do (if I can figure out Photoshop :p ).

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
          X