How long does your oil light stay on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does your oil light stay on?

When starting Aqua after she sits for a few hours or more, her oil light stays on after the engine catches for maybe 1 to 1.5 seconds. During this I hear a bit of valvetrain clatter. Never more than that though. When warm the light goes out sooner and there is no valve noise.

Is this normal? I've had oil pickup issues in the past (pickup tube came loose and had to be redone on the car).

Or am I just sensitive to this potential problem? I'm hoping I'm just hypersensitive to this happening, especially on the road!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Mine did the same thing, about the same amount of time to. I changed my oil yesterday and now the light goes out as soon as the engine starts. When its below freezing however, it clatters for a good 3 seconds, but the oil light only stays on for a second or two.
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

How old's your oil?
      How old's your oil filter?
      The outer ring of holes in your oil filter should have an internal 'flap' covering them (non-return valve) to discourage the filter from emptying when the car's not used. This means the filter's still full of oil at start up, thus reducing the time to build oil pressure. Perhaps you've got the wrong filter fitted or the valve's not working properly.

Either that, or your bearings are knackered.

Comment

Think the longest mine stayed on was like a second or two right after my last oil change.

But never stays on for more than half a second after the engine fires up, after that.
        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-20-2013, 04:55 PM.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Ive also noticed that the longer it sits, the longer the clatter. My last festiva did that, but after changing out a few HLA's the problem was solved. I was told that as they get older, they leak the oil out. Not sure if thats your case though.
          1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

What kinda filter?
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I just did an oil change a few days ago and used a cheap "Driveworks" oil filter because that was at hand. Could be it doesn't have that flap feature.

Next oil change I'll use a better filter! Maybe that's the issue here.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I make it a habit of never trying to save money by using cheap oil filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Law View Post
                  I make it a habit of never trying to save money by using cheap oil filters.
                  + 1000.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                  X