Smoother ride with poly bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoother ride with poly bushings?

Just did the sway to frame mounts, and the ride seems to have gotten better. Before I could feel a lot of bouncing because the struts are worn out and about to rust in half I'm sure. Now it seems much better. I expected more harshness if anything, so it seems weird that bumps are less annoying and so are drop-offs(like dropping onto a bridge or off one back to the road).

Anybody else notice this? Is it in my head? Any ideas why it happens if it's not in my head?

The old bushings don't look horrible. Not great, but not destroyed either. I can't even imagine what it'll be like when I get some + caster in it. There are 3 sets of around 6 rumble strips each on my way to work that were mega harsh before. I'd purposefully turn off to the side of the road to miss them. In my mom's Yaris however, you barely even notice. I wonder if it'll be that good.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

I did the same upgrade and feel the same about it !
    I like it , seems to corner better hold better and the bumps aren't nearly that bad !
    Alot of normal steering wobble Is gone as well !
    New build on the way .

Comment

Interesting. Seems counter intuitive, but maybe because those points really just need to pivot, so they might even be better off being harder than poly. I guess the old soft rubber junk might have been letting the whole knee assembly jiggle around and move, when it should really hold it perfectly still and only rotate at those points.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

How much is it to get a complete poly bushing setup for the front end?

I am sure as hell not going to paying the astronomical prices for the ones from Australia.

Also, are these the sway-bar to frame ones you are talking about?

Last edited by TorqueEffect; 05-23-2013, 09:43 PM.
        1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
        2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
        1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Yeah it seems that's the general consensus. My car felt a lot more stable and stiff but wouldn't hit as hard over the hard bumps and was softer over the hard stuff. I only replaced the back bushing and still felt it.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

I wonder if getting rid of free play by installing new original mounts would accomplish the same result ?
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I haven't done this mod, so I don't know for sure, but is it possible that the new bushings clamp the sway bar more than the old ones? If this is the case then the friction between the bushings and bar are most likely acting as a damper, slowing suspension movement and giving a more controlled feel. The sway bar bushing shouldn't increase the feedback you get from bumps and dips , as these bushings aren't under much load during that type of movement . The poly sway bar bushings would only feel more harsh under heavy acceleration or braking over rough terrain. Acceleration and braking put load on those bushings.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                How much is it to get a complete poly bushing setup for the front end?

I am sure as hell not going to paying the astronomical prices for the ones from Australia.

Also, are these the sway-bar to frame ones you are talking about?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1584&ppt=C0106
                They are that style, yes, but this one lets you adjust the caster.
                This one fits the bolt holes' spacing perfectly and doesn't allow for any adjustment.

I would prefer to go ahead and get caster adjustment if I was going to do them anyway.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Advance, I'm always open to feelings being completely in my head when there's no verifiable data, but unlike some other "changes" I've felt, I am remaining skeptical on this one and it seems to constantly surprise me with every part of my commute that used to make me want to slow down or at least expect a jarring few seconds.

IDK for sure, though.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

the poly bushings have a lot less movement than the stock rubber ones & on a heavier car you can really tell the difference in the ride & handling qualities. its nice to know they work (improve) on the festys also.
                    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Do it, you won't regret it. Mine haven't moved like you mentioned in my thread, they're still holding in place. I can't say if its increased caster or just better bushings but I don't even sweat bumps anymore. The whole feel of hitting a brick wall has been reduced to the feel of slamming some square bails and plowing through with ease...maybe more like mowing down a small animal like the racoon that's been in the trash twice a week scattering it all over the yard, you hate to do it but it needs to be done and you just hope you don't end up with a flat or busted band?

Festiva sway bars need 7/8" ID bushings.
                      Last edited by zoom zoom; 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I did full Poly bushings on my Aspire and was surprised at the smoothness. I was expecting the ride to feel much more harsh when driving in the Ghetto with all the pot holes etc.But the car just feels a lot more stable and carves like a filet knife. I did poly bushings on my 5.0 rear end and that was really harsh in comparison.
                        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                        X