I had smoking issues ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had smoking issues ...

... until I started driving the car regularly. Now, knock on wood, no burning oil issues. I guess a valve was sticking.
    I'm not sure how much the festiva was driven before I purchased it. Probably not much since it had a bad clutch, drive axels, wheel bearings, brakes, no brake ajuster, & hardly NO head lights.
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
    ... until I started driving the car regularly. Now, knock on wood, no burning oil issues. I guess a valve was sticking.
    I'm not sure how much the festiva was driven before I purchased it. Probably not much since it had a bad clutch, drive axels, wheel bearings, brakes, no brake ajuster, & hardly NO head lights.
    Could have just been sitting a while, and had leaking valve stem seals. Because if it is sitting a while with those, oil will start seeping into the cylinders, then will burn off as you start driving it again. Mine never seemed to have the problem of oil leaking into the cylinders when it was sitting, but you might try this.

After the engine is up to temperature (anywhere past the C mark), let it idle for a little while, like a good 5 minutes or so, then give it a real good amount of gas, if it is leaking valve stem seals you should see some oil smoke, or maybe allot of oil smoke blow out the exhaust.

My seals were bad, but just had em fixed, so no more oil burning. Hallelujah! Also replaced my old rock hard valve cover gasket as well. So no more leaks either.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
      After the engine is up to temperature (anywhere past the C mark), let it idle for a little while, like a good 5 minutes or so, then give it a real good amount of gas, if it is leaking valve stem seals you should see some oil smoke, or maybe allot of oil smoke blow out the exhaust.

Yes, I have tried that and when I first got the car it would do that. Now that I have been driving it on a daily bases, it doesn't do that anymore. That's why I'm thinking a valve or rocker arm was sticking, hanging up, or something.
      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

It could perhaps be something simpler... they may have overfilled the oil for example. That causes temporary smoke for sure!
        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

yeah my smokes until it is warmed up. i think its the valve seals.
          ;
          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
          '92 Festiva L M/T
          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Originally posted by muleskinner View Post
            Yes, I have tried that and when I first got the car it would do that. Now that I have been driving it on a daily bases, it doesn't do that anymore. That's why I'm thinking a valve or rocker arm was sticking, hanging up, or something.
            Well even if a valve or rocker arm got stuck, the oil would still need to get past the valve stem seals to seep into the cylinders.

Only way for oil to get in there is by those bad valve seals, that or by bad piston rings, through a bad PCV valve, or excessive blow-by where the oil gets forced up into the intake. Plus the valve or rocker arm sticking I believe would adversely affect the running of the engine, like it would be misfiring.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
            X