60-50mph Pulse&Glide with Draft vs. 60-40mph Pulse&Glide without draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
    That's pretty good, for a non-aero-modified Festy.
    Had a bike rack hanging off the hatch with two mountain bikes. Maybe that helped? LOL
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Had a bike rack hanging off the hatch with two mountain bikes. Maybe that helped? LOL
      Ha! It sounds like you might have 55 without them.
      My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        i should have specified that i was in Scrappy at the time (B6 swap with cam)... i did get 44 in the 93 sport comming home from Ohio at 70+ and 42ish in Bruce with the a/c on (same trip and speed)....
        Yeah, my B6 gets 42 too. At 60 MPH, no truck to follow.
        Last edited by TominMO; 06-03-2013, 07:31 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I get at least 40MPG going 65-70mph

Highways around here are hectic, I refuse to drive below 65 because it just feels way too unsafe to do so, hell even at 65 I always have people riding my tail.

40MPG is better than like 95% of the cars on the new car market, so I am happy with that. No point in getting myself killed just to have more than that. Though I do try an draft semis whenever I can, but I give enough room to where I feel that I could slam the brakes, or evade to either side if something were to happen.
          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Cool stuff.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I see how you can compare the two techniques to see which may work better, however I don't think it would be fair to claim this as a true MPG being you only put in .7-.8 gallons. The inaccuracies of small fill-ups will change your numbers quit a bit.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
              The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
              -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                I see how you can compare the two techniques to see which may work better, however I don't think it would be fair to claim this as a true MPG being you only put in .7-.8 gallons. The inaccuracies of small fill-ups will change your numbers quit a bit.
                If you read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't claim that the numbers were accurate, but rather a possible indication of increased efficiency from different techniques.
                My Fuel Log

Comment

There is a mythbusters episode that they do a whole test on drafting a semi. The results were it does work but in order for it to work you have to be dangerously close to the back of the semi... for example look at nascar, when they are drafting they are within 1 foot or so of the car in front of them. I do think it would be easier to draft with a festiva because of the weight difference but i think you would have to still be pretty darn close and remember if you cant see the truckers mirrors... he cant see you, please be safe out there.

Comment

Also to have accurate mpg# you really need to do at least a half of a tank or more and best is to refill with the exact same pump you originally filled with. Another thing that can mess up numbers here is what size tires you are running? If you are not running a stock size tire then your odometer will be off so gps milage would be best used... lol sorry i have got pretty detailed on checking my mpg. my 88 carb with weber swap, stock motor and 185/60r14 tires and 4 adults in the car doing average of 75-80 mph got me average of 36 mpg which was really good. But if i would have been using my odometer for mileage i was showing like 32mpg which i knew was not correct thats when i used gps instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                      If you read what I wrote you'll see that I didn't claim that the numbers were accurate, but rather a possible indication of increased efficiency from different techniques.
                      I was referring to including them in your average mpgs in ecomodder. Small fills will give an inaccurate average.
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie1717 View Post
                        I was referring to including them in your average mpgs in ecomodder. Small fills will give an inaccurate average.
                        I disagree completely ^ Small fills will make little difference to the overall mpg average since it takes the total miles traveled vs gallons used. The tank before my first 2 highway tests was 55mpg over 140 miles. If you include the 2 highway tests with that 140 miles it averaged out to just a little over 60mpg
                        Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-19-2013, 06:39 PM.
                        My Fuel Log

Comment

Also on the freeway something you guys should know.
                          The more weight you have the better your car is at maintaining a certain speed.
                          The weight stores energy as forward motion and when approaching hills
                          while on the throttle it will lessen the rate which speed falls thus maintaining speed and using less gas in the average.
                          I used to do half tank fillups in Washington because I did so much freeway travel the weight used to help keep me moving forward.
                          And gave increased avg mpgs.
                          Not to mention the readout on the scanguageII giving accurate readings from the ecu.
                          So it is not that it is innaccurate its better with the weight on freeways I think most people don't think of this small fact.
                          It's almost the same purpose as a heavy flywheel and how it stores energy.

If you drive in the city a ton stop and go where you can't maintain velocity/momentum.
                          Then that is the application you would want less weight for reduced gas consumption during acceleration.
                          Life has many variables don't always focus on 1.
                          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by drumnerd33 View Post
                            Also to have accurate mpg# you really need to do at least a half of a tank or more and best is to refill with the exact same pump you originally filled with. Another thing that can mess up numbers here is what size tires you are running? If you are not running a stock size tire then your odometer will be off so gps milage would be best used... lol sorry i have got pretty detailed on checking my mpg. my 88 carb with weber swap, stock motor and 185/60r14 tires and 4 adults in the car doing average of 75-80 mph got me average of 36 mpg which was really good. But if i would have been using my odometer for mileage i was showing like 32mpg which i knew was not correct thats when i used gps instead.
                            If you read what I wrote you will see that I noted that I was not claiming that the mileage was accurate, but rather using it as an indicator of possible gains from certain techniques. The techniques used in these tests did yield approximately the % increase that I was expecting based on other more thorough testing. My goal was merely to see how such techniques might help the Festiva

Originally posted by drumnerd33 View Post
                            There is a mythbusters episode that they do a whole test on drafting a semi. The results were it does work but in order for it to work you have to be dangerously close to the back of the semi... for example look at nascar, when they are drafting they are within 1 foot or so of the car in front of them. I do think it would be easier to draft with a festiva because of the weight difference but i think you would have to still be pretty darn close and remember if you cant see the truckers mirrors... he cant see you, please be safe out there.
                            Yeah I've seen the episode. You can get noticable draft at 55mph at up to 80ft following a big rig.

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                            Also on the freeway something you guys should know.
                            The more weight you have the better your car is at maintaining a certain speed.
                            The weight stores energy as forward motion and when approaching hills
                            while on the throttle it will lessen the rate which speed falls thus maintaining speed and using less gas in the average.
                            I used to do half tank fillups in Washington because I did so much freeway travel the weight used to help keep me moving forward.
                            And gave increased avg mpgs.
                            Not to mention the readout on the scanguageII giving accurate readings from the ecu.
                            So it is not that it is innaccurate its better with the weight on freeways I think most people don't think of this small fact.
                            It's almost the same purpose as a heavy flywheel and how it stores energy.

If you drive in the city a ton stop and go where you can't maintain velocity/momentum.
                            Then that is the application you would want less weight for reduced gas consumption during acceleration.
                            Life has many variables don't always focus on 1.
                            This is false. Added weight will have a negative effect on both highway and city driving, although it will be a much more noticeable effect in city driving. Do you have any links or sources for this information? The added weight does not work like a flywheel in any way. You might be able to achieve longer coasts but the end result of the acceleration portion will always be more fuel burned with more weight.
                            My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                              If you read what I wrote you will see that I noted that I was not claiming that the mileage was accurate, but rather using it as an indicator of possible gains from certain techniques. The techniques used in these tests did yield approximately the % increase that I was expecting based on other more thorough testing. My goal was merely to see how such techniques might help the Festiva

Yeah I've seen the episode. You can get noticable draft at 55mph at up to 80ft following a big rig.

This is false. Added weight will have a negative effect on both highway and city driving, although it will be a much more noticeable effect in city driving. Do you have any links or sources for this information? The added weight does not work like a flywheel in any way. You might be able to achieve longer coasts but the end result of the acceleration portion will always be more fuel burned with more weight.
                              Everything you said Mikey I agree with. In the above case fewer fill ups without the associated stop and go to get to and from may be the real reason some get better mileage starting with a full tank.

cars that never leave town and always do stop and go will benefit with the lighter tank.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Hey my cone filter reduced cylinder filling by up to %7
                                That oughtta save me some gass less air less fuel...

Yes my links and source are direct real time feedback direct from the ecu.
                                Ignition timing, engine load, mpg, rpms mph, mpg avg, coolant temp, intake air temp, throttle positin and real driving like you are doing. I can write my info down and link to it like everyone else does.

I only go off of my real time data not guessing what may and may not work.
                                My numbers are better proof than guesses.

And its not coasting its doing what your advocating.
                                I agreed with your results and now your saying the same principles are wrong.
                                I get up to speed and stay there and when there is a hill and your engine load increases you slowly
                                Ease off up the hill to keep mpgs high. This is where your extra weight bring you further up the hill while shedding less speed.

Plus yes that's only for the acceleration portion. But on the highway you accelerate once then maintain speed that's why it helps to have some weight to maintain speed and rpms even if its 1500 rpms.
                                Last edited by rmoltis; 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM.
                                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                                X