Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Festiva. Its been a wild ride already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Festiva. Its been a wild ride already!

Just bought a 1989 Ford Festiva. I found it on craigslist here on Oahu in Hawaii. My name is Nick and I am pretty excited about this little car. It seems to be a love/hate relationship. I have been reading and reading through this forum for a few weeks before purchase and after. I thought this would be the best way to break in with a first post.
    The car was listed for $950. I talked the guy down to $400 knowing I was taking a gamble on it. The clutch was very loose when I test drove it and there was a lot of cosmetic damage like it being spray painted black and the ignition being wired and rigged. I bought a sterring wheel club in the meantime hoping it will help a little. The car seems like it was maybe stolen but I double checked it all with the police and had the vin number ran. It prob just wasnt reported but the owner got it back. Upon driving it home the day I bought it the clutch blew out. I was throughly bummed although I knew it needed a new clutch before I bought it. I got it towed and got the new clutch for $50 through a hook up of a friend. Almost 2 1/2 weeks later I got the car back with a new clutch installed for $650. It has been running awesome ever since. The clutch is strong and there are no leaks on the car and all seems to be good. I bought some new oil to put in her and a new fuel filter. The auto parts guy recommended the sea foam to give it a cleaning upon my next fill up. But I havent decided if I am gonna use it yet. There are no back seats to it and it seems all the carpet and everything was stripped down. It will be a work in progress but I am just gonna take it slow and make it most cost efficient as I can. I think that is about all of it for now. Let me know what you guys think. This festiva forum and community seem really awesome.
    -Nick
    Attached Files

Here are a few more pictures that I couldnt get in the first post. Thanks.
    Attached Files

Comment

all in all good score! there is a guy that lives in hawaii i thank his screen name is "collegeboi" pm him and see whats up
      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Welcome!! There is plenty of help and advice on this forum as I'm sure you have discovered.
        Just take your time and build it like you want it.
        I've been working on my "Project car" for over 2 yrs now.
        But it should be on the road soon.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 06-03-2013, 07:34 PM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Willkster View Post
          Almost 2 1/2 weeks later I got the car back with a new clutch installed for $650.
          Wow!! $650 bucks to install a clutch? You got hosed man. It's really easy to remove a transmission on our cars and if you already had the clutch purchased there is no way labor for that install should have cost $650 bucks!

Welcome to the site though and it's good to hear you got a nice running Festiva now! Good luck with your project!
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Nice score man!
            My car was spray painted black too, but mine had stickers all over it! I paid 800 for mine and it needed a clutch, drive axels, brakes, wheel bearings, altenator -n- belt, wiring work on the headlights, a hood, drivers door, gas leak repaired, & put the stock 12" wheels and tires back on. I'm leaving mine all stock.
            Now I have it running great. I have all the rust removed and body work done. All I need to do now is paint it.
            check mine out .....

Have fun fixing yours up the way you like it. I know I am!
            1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
            1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
            1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
            2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
            2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
            2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
            1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Nice find. Low miles too. Im sure festies are very limited over there. Make it your own! For the clutch, that is probably not a bad price for a shop to do the work. Not everyone can do major work on their own cars. Welcome!
              '89L 110k mi. BP/G swapped
              '90LX 68k mi. wrecked 12/14 RIP
              '90 F250 4X4 108K mi.
              '13 Kia Rio 5 LX 70k mi.
              '18 Kia Soul 40k mi. Daily
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Nice looking car, well mechanically anyway. Check underneath in the back on the driver's side, that looks like a lot of bondo, but there shouldn't be anything too ugly with the unibody.
                Owner of:
                1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
                In progress:
                BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Wow thanks guys for the response and support. I know its not much to look at. But its a work in progress. Just gotta keep airing it out now and get the spray paint smell out and work on finding a good way to fix the ignition issue.
                  I'll look up "collegeboi" too thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
                    Wow!! $650 bucks to install a clutch? You got hosed man. It's really easy to remove a transmission on our cars and if you already had the clutch purchased there is no way labor for that install should have cost $650 bucks!

Welcome to the site though and it's good to hear you got a nice running Festiva now! Good luck with your project!
                    650$ is way too much.. i have to sadly +1 on that advice too.

also if you're gearbox seems a little sloppy (it's a side effect of our cars after a while), replace the bushings with metal bushings as the green ford stock replacements are terrible after about 6-12 months (dependant on your driving style).. there are also red nylon bushings too, but in all i have heard the metal ones are the best replacements and no slop again for a long time.

can someone please post the link for the metal bushings replacements please.. i know someone around here knows it as i have asked a couple of times before.

i couldn't find the link for the page i was given but here is something that suits all round.. metal and polyurethane..
                    Last edited by jawbraeka; 06-04-2013, 12:50 AM.
                    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km
                    City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I had a few mechanics turn me down to do the work. So this guy was through a friend. Paid him already so not much can do now except not to go back to him. Things are more expensive here but I thought it was high too. Great advice the bushings. The gearbox seemed unique.
                      Last edited by Willkster; 06-04-2013, 12:49 AM.

Comment

sometimes, work can be done yourself and at a bit of time and money, can usually get things done on our cars fairly quickly.

a couple of tools i'd recommend would be an engine stand and car stands/ramps. also a trolley jack and a set of metric and imperial sockets as well as ring spanners too (ratchets are the best), a copy of the guide to the car and a weekend and some curiousity and you're good to go.

welcome and have a good time.

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Lol i laugh to myself every time i hear spanner in reference to a wrench.
                          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                            650$ is way too much.. i have to sadly +1 on that advice too.

also if you're gearbox seems a little sloppy (it's a side effect of our cars after a while), replace the bushings with metal bushings as the green ford stock replacements are terrible after about 6-12 months (dependant on your driving style).. there are also red nylon bushings too, but in all i have heard the metal ones are the best replacements and no slop again for a long time.

can someone please post the link for the metal bushings replacements please.. i know someone around here knows it as i have asked a couple of times before.

i couldn't find the link for the page i was given but here is something that suits all round.. metal and polyurethane..
                            I found a link that i think could help you out.

http://www.twmperformance.com/bushingkits/

would be looking through the mazda and kia.

probably cheaper if you look around a bit more.. but the key word to use whilst searching google would be Bronzoil

FOUND IT..
                            http://www.corksport.com/corksport-b...-bushings.html

Ebay also has them too :- http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...hifter+bushing
                            Last edited by jawbraeka; 06-04-2013, 02:52 AM.

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Oh wow thanks a lot man. I had no idea about the bushings. I'm am definitely going to look into that. Thanks for the links.

Are there any ideas on exactly what model this one is. I'm assuming it's the 89 L standard base model.
                              Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X