Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More upto date Power steering rack for WA Festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More upto date Power steering rack for WA Festiva?

Finding a P/Steering rack for a 1991 ford festiva is becoming very slim pickings and the last one i came across (I should have grabbed it, i knew i should have.. DOIH) was only 200$ for a complete pump and rack plus mounts and hoses.

is there something from a newer model mazda or festiva that will fit into a WA or is it a case of "Find another WA/DA Festiva/Mazda with it cause that it all you have"?

wrecker seems to be the only option unless there is something i haven't come across yet.. any takers?
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

I've been researching this very subject, as power steering is just as rare on American Festivas.

There are three routes to go with the power steering, assuming you can't find a Festiva equipped with it.

The first option is to buy new parts at the auto parts store, assuming they are still available. This is the most expensive option, and you won't be able to get a core refund. I've also found that some parts, such as the reservoir, mounting brackets and some of the metal tubing, cannot be purchased new.

The second option is to pull parts off of similar cars. The US Ford Aspire (I believe the 2nd gen Aussia Festiva?) shares the same steering rack as the earlier Festiva, although the inner tie rod ends will need to be swapped out. A variety of Mazdas have power steering pumps and mounts that can be used. It seems like there was one basic pump design that was used by Mazda, with the ports and pulleys configured as needed. A late 80s Ford Laser seems like a good donor as the power steering reservoir is attached to the pump. The reservoir was an early-Festiva only part that cannot be found on other cars. At this point the two hardest obstacles are overcome, but you will need to mix/match/custom build the hoses and brackets to put it all together. This shouldn't be too difficult, as power steering is very basic, but it will require a little creativity.

The third option is to buy all-new Kia Pride parts from overseas, via a website like Fourgreen. This route may be a bit expensive, but everything will be new and will bolt right up.

When I get around to building a power steering setup, I plan to mix and match parts from all three options.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Tim

(This is all accurate to the best of my knowledge, if I erred somewhere please feel free to call me out!)
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Ive noticed in passing that rockauto.com has the rack with power steering. And if im not mistaken, they have all or most of the parts and what nots that go with power steering.

Sent from Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2
      Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

i was thinking the same thing about the power steering option from a festiva MK2 (aspire) as this is the closest bretheren available that is the closest fit i would think.. the reservior and pump will be driven from a CAPRI XR2 (on the engine i plan to swap) so there isn't an issue with there, just the hoses and rack i really need.. the next rack i see with hoses... i'm getting it no doubt, even know i know there's no guarantee to how good the rack will actually be.

one other question i have is:- is there a more MODERN (Post 90's) steering rack available for our babies as i know similar generation cars are almost plug-n-play, in some cases "perfect" for a swap, but i was thinking, more modern, more stock and less chance of running out for x amount of years. Anyone tried a KIA at all? perhaps the DB 121 as we have plenty of those in the wreckers and even a Capri (as much as i know that is a long stretch, but quite possibly a swap)

anyone tried from a capri at all? if it does, there's another option for me too as there are 4 that i know of that i can raid for one.

Avg Economy:
        Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

I went once to NAPA Auto parts to get a rebuild kit for my pump. They gave me a Mitsubishi kit. Does anyone know if the pump is indeed made by Mitsubishi?

As for the power steering rack, I believe that it contains the same main wear parts as the manual rack, except for the gear.
          Last edited by bravekozak; 06-11-2013, 07:30 AM.

Comment

I can't say for sure for the pumps, but I do believe the factory alternators were in fact Mitsubishi. But that doesn't really help ya.

Hell in the Shop Manual it even shows the Mitsubishi logo on the alternator in the illustrations.
            1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
            2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
            1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
              I went once to NAPA Auto parts to get a rebuild kit for my pump. They gave me a Mitsubishi kit. Does anyone know if the pump is indeed made by Mitsubishi?

As for the power steering rack, I believe that it contains the same main wear parts as the manual rack, except for the gear.
              There are quite a few Mitubishi parts on Festys. The carbed distys ECM is Mitsu, as were the alt's for carb and efi. There is a good chance the Mitsu kit is right.
              Last edited by drddan; 06-11-2013, 02:15 PM.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

is the rack you're looking for a RHD? i'm assuming since you are in AU

Comment

yeah i am in AU and we are RHD.

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Working...
                  X