89 tracer knuckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 tracer knuckles

I NEED a knuckle swap and my spare Festy knuckles are missing the backing plates. The tracer brakes are bigger as a bonus, and I keep Festy wheel bolt pattern. I just don't know if it will fit or not, I know 12" steelies won't work, the caliper is too big, but I have 13" wheels anyway and tracers came with 13" steelies.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

For the front? They should be almost the same/same as the Capri, it's a BF/323/Capri chassis
    1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
    High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
    Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Hey man I see where this is headed. I saw real sharp-looking 114.3 x 4 alloys on a U-Pull 80s Toyota Cressida this morning. I guess between the two of us whatever steering problems there are is now a race to see who cures what the fastest.

Comment

They'll bolt right on. I was going to do this before I learned about Rio parts. Rocketman is right. They're basically N/A Capri pieces.
        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Yea but with the capri swap you have to run 14" wheels don't you? The reason I'm going all the way around 4x100 is to.keep the 13" rims!!!

Haha bert, I just hope between the both of us something will get figured out! I think I blew out a cv yesterday goofing off, I've got a "metallic grinding" that varies with engine speed ...while accelerating... And is barely audible/non exiatant while cruising.....that 0-60 pull winding out third gear felt really good tho!!!!
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

They're Capri knuckles yes but I'm pretty sure the Tracer uses the smaller 9.37" rotors exclusively, I don't know about the calipers. You may be able to run 13"s on it.

Searching for tires for an 88/89 Tracer, they come as 13" as stock size, so you 'should' be able to run 13"

JPT - Many, many NA capris got the larger "turbo" brakes, we haven't been able to determine when & where the smaller rotors were used yet. Seems like the early 91 autos at the moment but still not entirely sure on that. So it's not something exclusive to the XR2

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
              JPT - Many, many NA capris got the larger "turbo" brakes, we haven't been able to determine when & where the smaller rotors were used yet. Seems like the early 91 autos at the moment but still not entirely sure on that. So it's not something exclusive to the XR2
              You mean to tell me that I may have passed up big brakes and didn't know it? I assumed (bad thing) that only XR2s had big brakes. When I went looking, I found 5 Capris. All non-turbo, so I kept walking.

Comment

I would have to bet, that all 5 of those had the big brakes. The Capris with smaller rotors are pretty uncommon.

Rocketchips!

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                  Yea but with the capri swap you have to run 14" wheels don't you? The reason I'm going all the way around 4x100 is to.keep the 13" rims!!!

Haha bert, I just hope between the both of us something will get figured out! I think I blew out a cv yesterday goofing off, I've got a "metallic grinding" that varies with engine speed ...while accelerating... And is barely audible/non exiatant while cruising.....that 0-60 pull winding out third gear felt really good tho!!!!
                  Standing there staring at an 00-build Rio this morning I wonder if those type driveaxles are compatible with any of our stuff? The poor fellow that jettisoned that car must have done it right after a driveaxle/brake/strut/bearing job!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
                    I would have to bet, that all 5 of those had the big brakes. The Capris with smaller rotors are pretty uncommon.
                    :banghead: Oh well, the car is Rio-swapped now.

Comment

According to NAPA, an '89 Tracer uses a 9.63 dia. rotor with a 94mm bolt circle(first time I've seen that). Later models have a 100mm bolt circle and 10.1 dia. rotor. It is also of the bolt on verity that some folks on here dislike so much.
                      Jack Byrd,
                      1991 Capri
                      1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                      1970 Chev C10
                      1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
                        :banghead: Oh well, the car is Rio-swapped now.
                        What d'ya mean "Oh well"? Captive rotors (ala OEM Festy) are outright junk in my opinion as are solids (ala OEM Festy) so any swap of Aspire-Rio front brakes onto a Festy is to be considered a miracle. Aside from the idiot pre-load bearing set up that is common to all these cars you've done the very best you can. Plus you now have 4 x 100 wheel pattern!
                        Pat yourself on the shoulder my good man and let someone else beat their head against a wall.

Comment

^He's probably banging in regard to passing up on those nutty huge capri brakes thinking they were small ones.

I love my Aspire/Rio swap, though I think I have actually made them fade once so far. Light changed on me doing 70, and I lit them up, weaved side to side, and made the guys sitting at the light waiting to pull out stop and wait to see if I'd make it or take their passenger side out. They got awfully slippery toward the end. Might have to do slotted rotors eventually.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            What d'ya mean "Oh well"? Captive rotors (ala OEM Festy) are outright junk in my opinion as are solids (ala OEM Festy) so any swap of Aspire-Rio front brakes onto a Festy is to be considered a miracle. Aside from the idiot pre-load bearing set up that is common to all these cars you've done the very best you can. Plus you now have 4 x 100 wheel pattern!
                            Pat yourself on the shoulder my good man and let someone else beat their head against a wall.
                            Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the Rio swap, it's just that I had a really nice set of 4x114.3 wheels that I wanted to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Standing there staring at an 00-build Rio this morning I wonder if those type driveaxles are compatible with any of our stuff? The poor fellow that jettisoned that car must have done it right after a driveaxle/brake/strut/bearing job!
                              basically just the struts and knuckles...rotors and calipers included.. The axles inner spline count is of the G series variety, and the LCA's have too much angle to be of any use to us..on a stock suspension.

I got those knuckles out of the yard today after work, along with the steering column. I'm starting to get kind of peeved about people saying "bolt on." With my aspires alot of things were literally "bolt on" but since I've got this damn festiva NOTHING has been as simple as "bolt on."

I found my issue.....the bolt was loose, yes, I tightened it and didn't have any real trouble today except getting on it hard it would weave on me..no biggie right, torque steer?...no, if only it were that simple.

For the record, the bolt pattern is definitely 4x114.3, my wheels fit on them, and so did some stock festy steelies flipped inside out at the junk yard.. Just eyeballing the VENTED rotor, it's 9 3/8" diameter, I'm assuming it's the 9.3w/e inch rotor.

and the sound I was hearing thinking it was a bad axle was actually the exhaust pipe rattling, I'm gonna have to put a flex pipe on it instead of this straight 1 7/8" stuff.
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-12-2013, 08:43 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X