Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric impact wrench? HF or something better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric impact wrench? HF or something better?

I'm feeling the need to get an electric impact wrench. I have the HF "Earthquake" model air wrench, but I'd like to be liberated from having to fire up my Big Air. That takes time, and my kind of laziness is not aided by waiting for my 33 gal compressor to fill up!

Anyone buy any of these at HF?:

Amazing deals on this 7A 1/2In Electric Impact Wrench With Rocker at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Glowing reviews, and lots of them. I've seen crappy reviews on HF's site, so I don't think these are "seeded." I think they're real. I'm almost ready to go buy one now. I could probably be back by the time I got my compressor set up!

But I'll wait. Till tomorrow or so.

Talk to me!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

I have the exact same one but looks different probably because mine is older. It works great for me.

I purchased mine for the exact same reason and for my SYM RV250 scooter (motor bike) to remove the clutch or variator on my SYM.

It works good on removing tires too as long as the lug bolts are not on really tight (put on by someone that is trigger happy with an air wrench).
    1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
    1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
    1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
    2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
    2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
    2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
    1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Looks decent, gonna have to keep me posted on how well it does! I tell yah what since its only got that 90 day warranty let me have it for a day and ill let you know if its gonna hold up or not Haha just kidding..or am I?

Hey if you hit up HF let me know if they actually sell trailers since mine won't, might save me a trip to Canton or Charleston wv.
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

We melted the brushes on one of those putting the tracks off and back on , on the snow cat. Use it in bursts and it should be okay.

This one is awesome and goes forever on a battery. 450 foot lbs of torque is good too.

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I had this same one untik I lost it worked great on the applications youd use it for. I changed tires, lcas, bushings, struts, and all with it.

James says, "Hate on it."
          Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

I always wondered about an electric impact. Not sure about the harbor freight ones. Love HF but try to stay away from their power stuff. Had bad luck. But for the money kinda throw away if you use and abuse. lol

Originally posted by Movin View Post

This one is awesome and goes forever on a battery. 450 foot lbs of torque is good too.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item_.../CT7850_v5.jpg
            I got one of these a couple weeks ago. Freakin' love it. 650lbs in reverse. Works as well as my Ingersoll "Street Legal"
            Last edited by Gomez; 06-14-2013, 11:40 AM.
            -Bryant

Comment

Look at the jegs racing cordless one lots of torque and good price i think there are some youtube videos on.it too.

Comment

Well I just got back from HF, the PO, and Mickey Ds. Just finished eating and I'll let you know in a few how I like it.

WORKIES KARL, WORKIES!!

Karl

Comment

Haha you just couldn't wait could yah! Lol, hope it works out for you, it does look nice!
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I have had mine for about 4/5 years, in fact it's the Tan/Gold color It will loosen anything you want to remove from a car, it's not for production work, but works well. i'm a little lazy also, it's easy to throw out an extension cord and attack your job. The only down side is the ring that holds the socket on has lost its grip and you have to look for your socket at times.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

sc wrote:

"The only down side is the ring that holds the socket on has lost its grip and you have to look for your socket at times."

Ha, my Earthquake air wrench lost its socket retainer piece a long time ago. PITA.

Well, I just finished up some work! The right side lower strut bolt is stubborn and has ruined a 100% glowing report, but I got the right side knuckle off and the other side's problem child is soaking in PB Blaster till tomorrow, when I think I will find success!

Got the HF electric model I linked above and it's a winner, IMO.

I'll be starting a "getting Twinstiva back on the road" thread soon, and I'll post up pics.

Till then, here is my scene of mostly victory!

Thanks all,

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-14-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I recently acquired a Snap-On 18V Impact Wrench model CT6850. It is a must for making repairs on my Festiva. Even though complete charge time is only 40 minutes it came with 2 batteries . It provides up to 400 ft-lbs of torque. It is a real nice tool to have in the shop. I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

I have Snap on's in both 3/8 and 1/2 14.4 Volt and I love them. I found them at a local pawn shop.
                          Jerry
                          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Whatever you buy, ensure that your outlet and extension cord are up to the task. My 240ft-lbs 7.5A impact driver is struggling because I'm using a fairly poor extension cord.
                            1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I gots good extension cord, Aaron!

Someday...a Snap On cordless...some day!

So far I'm happy with this HF piece.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                              X