Steering Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Gear

Well I drug another wounded soldier home. This time an 87 Festiva advertised as needing the hood and front bumper replaced but ran great and was drivable. Well the description was not "quite accurate" and the front of the car is totally shattered. When loading the 87 onto the trailer I noticed that the steering was so much easier than what it is on the 89 and 91 that is my daily driver. Can anyone tell me if the steering gear ratio is different between the 87 and the others.

Luckily for me the interior of the 87 turns out to be tan (the same as my 91) so I am going to be able to pull the non-electric seat belts and put them into the 91.

Thanks for any info.

Bob

alot of people are going to tell you that there wasn't an 87 Festiva. there was in Japan though. did you get built date off the doorjamb sticker? are the last digits of the VIN 00001?

Comment

I find that tire size makes a BIG difference in ease of steering.

I run wide 13" up front (12" in back) on my SEA 88LX and it's really hard to steer, but handles rutty pavement better (jumps around less).

I run 12" all around on everything else, and they're all easy to steer (but dances around where studded tires and chains have eaten up the road).

Low air, of course, will do you in no matter what.
      Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM.
      88L black, dailydriver
      88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
      4 88/89 disassembled
      91L green
      91GL aqua pwrsteer
      92GL red a/c reardmg
      3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
      1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Working...
      X