wheel bearing question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing question.

Im rebuilding a set of aspire hubs. For kicks and giggles i cut the bearing cage off to look at the inner bearing.

What would cause it to marr up like this?

CAM00344.jpg

Improper luberication, contamination, manufacturing defect ?

The rest of the inner bearing was fine. Just the one spot.
    91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
    06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
    95 Aspire (sold)

that's due to gauling and when you see a singular spot like that, it's either manufacture defect (poor hardening in that area) or a chunk of debris. i tend to lean tward defect given the very singular area of degradation.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ah ok. Thanks! Crazy looking. One more question. I plan on putting in wheel studs. Is it easier to do with the hub tore apart or does it not make adifference? Ive seen studs that are threaded all the way through and ones that look more like a carriage bolt so i can see it going both ways.
      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

it depends on which style you are going to use... a thread in stud can be done at any time, the press in stud MUST be done before the hub goes back together because you dont have to fight the knuckle to get them past and straight on the hub, also if you go press in, you need to drill out the threads so the knerls have something to grab onto.

if your threads are good, i'd go with the thread in type and RED Loctite.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ok thanks so much!
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Working...
          X