Baseline Highway Run: 232.4 miles on 3.72 gallons at 55mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseline Highway Run: 232.4 miles on 3.72 gallons at 55mph

I did a baseline mpg test run today since I had a long commute, to help put this http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-without-draft test run I did into proper perspective. The test was to show what just the modifications, (without Hypermiling) were responsible for in efficiency gain. Speeds were 55-65 constant throttle (hills caused the speed variation) with temps 81 degrees F with no precipitation.

55mph Constant Throttle Test: 232.4 Miles on 3.72 Gallons = 62.37mpg
    60-50mph Pulse & Glide While Drafting Test: 61.7 Miles on .864Gallons = 72.9mpg
    60-40mph Pulse & Glide Without Drafting: 61.7 Miles on .728Gallons = 84.75mpg
    Last edited by mikeyjd; 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM.
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

I had to make the same commute today and did the same test as yesterday, only I did it at 50mph (45-55mph) constant throttle.

50mph Constant Throttle Test: 234.8 Miles on 3.65 Gallons = 64.33mpg
    My Fuel Log

Comment

Same guy as put the wind screen underneath the car? 64mpg (US gallons no less!) puts you in the big leagues if this can be kept up on a steady basis and police don't routinely pull you over for obstructing traffic. Good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
        Same guy as put the wind screen underneath the car? 64mpg (US gallons no less!) puts you in the big leagues if this can be kept up on a steady basis and police don't routinely pull you over for obstructing traffic. Good for you.
        Thanks The route I'm traveling is not overly busy and allows for more leisurely speeds than some more congested interstates might afford. The minimum posted speed limit is 45 and I'm quite careful not to travel under this.
        My Fuel Log

Comment

That is really awesome! Now i'm looking for another festy to build !!
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
            I did a baseline mpg test run today since I had a long commute, to help put this http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-without-draft test run I did into proper perspective. The test was to show what just the modifications, (without Hypermiling) were responsible for in efficiency gain. Speeds were 55-65 constant throttle (hills caused the speed variation) with temps 81 degrees F with no precipitation.

55mph Constant Throttle Test: 232.4 Miles on 3.72 Gallons = 62.37mpg
            60-50mph Pulse & Glide While Drafting Test: 61.7 Miles on .864Gallons = 72.9mpg
            60-40mph Pulse & Glide Without Drafting: 61.7 Miles on .728Gallons = 84.75mpg
            A nice contribution here! Your 55 MPH constant throttle shows the aero mods. When I did that test when my Festy was a B3, I only got 58 MPG. I'm gonna try this test soon with my Aspire, front air dam the only mod.

With P&G the technique is to glide with the engine running in neutral, right, or do you shut off the engine and bump-start it (kill switch would be nice here)? I'm thinking of a 65-45 P&G to keep it more at hwy speeds.
            Last edited by TominMO; 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Engine off /bump start.
              My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                That is really awesome! Now i'm looking for another festy to build !!
                While on this sudden quest you'd be the perfect candidate to graft in a carefully tuned (Metro/Sprint/Firefly) Suzuki 1 litre 3 banger. Bet that would boost the mileage and you could always retrofit some sort of 'afterburner can' (ala the Air Force) for those rare occasions that you'd really wanna 'shake a leg', or get up a hill.
                Notice where my tongue is located while writing this?

Comment

Working...
                X