Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how much better is a B6 exh manifold over a B3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how much better is a B6 exh manifold over a B3?

I am beyond sick of trying to make the exhaust work on my b6 swap. Just how much worse is the B3 manifold? Should I just not even consider it?
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

The B6 is a ton better (IMO).....what issues are you having? That said, you can use the B3 manifold, depending on the year of the B6.
    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

No comparo between B3 and B6 exhaust mani's! The B3 is like what, 8 inches long, and the B6 is like 18 inches long, Better runners, better flow.

Why are you putting a B3 mani on a B6? Didnt the B6 come with the mani attached?

The B6 has bigger displacement and more exhaust coming out. The B3 mani is DINKY and doesnt even flow enough for the B3.

What issues are you having with your exhaust?
      Last edited by drddan; 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

hey if he put the aspire manifold on would it give him a boost in the torque dept lol.
        but hey if the b3 manifold bolts up why not just buy my header and put it on. ;-P.

Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Because I am having trouble connecting the exhaust to the exhaust. A 323 downpipe is too short and will hit the axle, a festy downpipe is way too long obviously. So far, half the exhaust shops in town have told me to @#%^ off.
          Last edited by 200KGPGTP; 06-22-2013, 12:19 AM.
          Buck.
          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Lol what a bunch of jackasses.

You know I've read people online taking headers that don't line up right.
            And heating the corner at the bend before the collector till its hot.
            Then inserting a piece of wood that is a snug tight fit into the "collector" opening.
            And they bend it up or down.
            All while bolted snug to the block.

Everyone suggests not going over 5 inches in any direction deformation can occur.
            But slight bends like + or - 1"-3" probably wouldn't make a difference.

Of course I don't know if your down pipe is bendable or not. I'm not sure the material its made of.
            Last edited by rmoltis; 06-22-2013, 01:08 AM. Reason: why not?

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
              Because I am having trouble connecting the exhaust to the exhaust. A 323 downpipe is too short and will hit the axle, a festy downpipe is way too long obviously. So far, half the exhaust shops in town have told me to @#%^ off.
              I solve issues like this by some creative use of adaptors and a flex coupling. You would have to cut off the existing flanges to do this. I get all the pieces on like I want them; mark the pieces so I can get them to line up again; then take it back off and go to a muffler shop to weld them together. Go home and install. Then, either I would use clamps or drive it to the shop for welding.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

when I did it I got a downpipe for an '89 323 and bolted it right on to the Festy cat and everything. Fits perfect. I remember Dr Dan saying he had to bend his downpipe slightly but it worked, right? Mine was almost a perfect bolt on thing. There is a bracket bolt in the way where the DP bolts to the manifold, but the corner of the manifold can be cut off to clear it

Comment

The 1st and 2nd gen B6 manifolds are different. I used the B6 on my swap (1st gen), but I made a custom head pipe.....actually, my brother made it for me. The outlet on the B6 manifold is 1.75" and the factory down pipe is 1.5". This is a huge impediment to flow. We cut the triangle flange off the down pipe, enlarged the center hole out and welded it to a 2.25" mandrel bent 90* elbow. It took 3 try's to get the perfect amount of drop distance so it would clear the axles and not hang too low. It won't bolt up to the factory exhaust, but I'm doing a custom 2.25" system anyway.
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

I've pretty much discovered that when doing custom exhaust work.
                    Things almost never just bolt right up.

Now stock replacements can be a close to direct fit but even they aren't perfect sometimes.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
                      I've pretty much discovered that when doing custom exhaust work.
                      Things almost never just bolt right up.

Now stock replacements can be a close to direct fit but even they aren't perfect sometimes.
                      Good luck.
                      Yeah, mine is a 1st gen B6 and I guess I got lucky for once. I couldn't believe it at the time. I got the pipe for like $20.00 at Rockauto and it fit right in . Just had to get a donut gasket where it goes to the cat. My whole exhaust is bone stock Festy though.

Comment

Originally posted by zoe60 View Post
                        when I did it I got a downpipe for an '89 323 and bolted it right on to the Festy cat and everything. Fits perfect. I remember Dr Dan saying he had to bend his downpipe slightly but it worked, right? Mine was almost a perfect bolt on thing. There is a bracket bolt in the way where the DP bolts to the manifold, but the corner of the manifold can be cut off to clear it
                        ^ Yup, a B6 engine, B6 ex mani, a 323 down pipe. All 1st gen. All fit well, even though I did have to pull the downpipe down like 1/4 inch to clear axle. Probably just different manufactuer's specs when bending. I used another piece of slightly smaller pipe, stuck it in the rear facing end of the tube of the 323 downpipe, while it was bolted in place, and just pulled it down till I got what I needed. I think it was a fence post.
                        Bending the pipe wont hurt anything. Its not a header. Just a bent steel tube.

I had to cut that corner off the mani too. Hacksaw special.
                        Last edited by drddan; 06-22-2013, 05:31 PM.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                          ..............So far, half the exhaust shops in town have told me to @#%^ off.
                          This would be the 'cue' word. Keep searching. There are decent, willing and honest pipe tradesmen out there, Just a question of finding them. The crackerjacks advertise entirely by word of mouth and will not be in the phone book nor on the web. And all will be very busy! Take a wad of 20s with you when you find that one.

Comment

Working...
                          X