Shifter bushing trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter bushing trouble

In several of my festivas the bushing that hold my shifter in the floor is completely worn out and does hold it very well. I havent had much luck finding a replacement, anyone have any suggestions?
    89 LX (461xxx miles original motor and trans, retired)
    90 L (restoration in progress)
    91 L (saved from abusive owner lol)
    92 L (DD)
    88 (model unknown, rust free, possible project)
    88-89 (parts car. practically picked to the bone)
    93 GL (parts car)

Several?

Two choices. Cheap and expensive.

Cheap. Do like I did. Use the site search to find out where to drill a hole to install a long bolt to hold the shifter up. Less than a buck.

Expensive. Buy a whole new shifter assembly from Four Green. KKY0146100B. $64.69 + Fedex shipping from Korea.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

several, well 2, one doesnt stay in at all, the other falls out occasionally while Im driving and I haveto yank it back up lol. Other cars seem to be fine so far
      92 L (DD)
      93 GL (parts car)

Comment

Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

You can also make a better bushing by filling the stock one. Much better than either the replacement OEM $$$ route or the bolt, IMO.
          Rip it apart, clean and paint it.

Then fill with PL/3M Polyurethane filling. Around $6/tube.

They'll never fail again, and it's not rigged with a bolt, nor does it cost much.
          Last edited by sketchman; 06-27-2013, 09:14 AM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

man thats a great tip! and here I was gonna try to mill one out of rubber or something... this would be much easiernthego:
            92 L (DD)
            93 GL (parts car)

Comment

Credit to Advancedynamix for that one. If you go that route the 3M stuff (Windoweld) is said to cure faster than the PL, but it's a bit more expensive. I only use the PL brand stuff and just either bake the part (if it'll fit in the oven) or use a heat gun and put it through several cycles of heat-up cool-down till everything's nice and firm.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

You know, I've seen it here many times but, in 27 festivas I've never had a shifter fall.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

I've had/driven 6 so far, and 2 have fallen apart that I know of. Hard to say really, because people seem to just keep driving them anyway, and for some of them I didn't understand yet whether the shifter was working correctly or not.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I noticed mine is quite a bit looser than my sons, this window weld would be kind of fun!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

27 FESTIVA'S???? You have to be a world record holder!!! wow!!!
                      Originally posted by neanderpaul View Post
                      You know, I've seen it here many times but, in 27 festivas I've never had a shifter fall.
                      92 GL, 98k
                      77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I think I'm at least 3rd here. Dean had me beat. And Tony Cash bought more than that all at once in Ohio. I don't think I've ever had more than 5 at once.

They call it madness for good reason.
                        Last edited by neanderpaul; 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM.
                        youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          You can also make a better bushing by filling the stock one. Much better than either the replacement OEM $$$ route or the bolt, IMO.

Then fill with PL/3M Polyurethane filling. Around $6/tube.

They'll never fail again, and it's not rigged with a bolt, nor does it cost much.
                          I did this same exact mod to Tweak when I first built her. Over 70K miles, three years and lots of abuse later it's still going strong
                          WHEN FILLING WITH CONSTRUCTION GRADE POLY BE SURE TO DO IT IN LAYERS NO THICKER THAN 3/4 INCH AT A TIME AND LET EACH LAYER HARDEN FOR A FEW DAYS BEFORE PUTTING THE NEXT LAYER IN.
                          Two part Poly mixes like those offered by Forsch Polymer Co. can be poured in at one time and will last longer (but are not available at Home Depot and cost a bit more).

Where is the best place to buy replacement plastic shifter bushing kits for the Festiva?
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Reposting this because Photobucket do what it do.

Then fill both ends with PL/3M Polyurethane filling. Around $6/tube.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Thanks, that's great!
                              Cure time if you fill it all at once?
                              No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                              X