Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Badge-engineered" vehicles

Very interesting:

Car makers are using different "badges" to sell the same cars at widely different prices. In one case a Toyota is being sold by Aston Martin at three times the price for the Toyota version.

which references this list:

88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Proof that we should all be saving our turds for polishing.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
      Proof that we should all be saving our turds for polishing.
      Doesn't everyone do this anyway?
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I like to sprinkle glitter on mine, it's less messy and gives a better visual effect
        If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

If you just EAT the glitter first, it will be infused. Then you don't have to go back after the fact and sprinkle it.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Platform sharing can be beneficial in some ways.
            Lowers prices overall the share or slightly modify a platform rather than design an entirely new one. This also makes for more parts interchangeability.

However, badge engineering leads to boring ugly cars (see all Chevys). The Cobalt/G5/Ion/HHR Delta platform was all a bunch of simple ugly little cars. Luckily they were cheap. And the slightly modified Delta II brings us the Cruze. Again nothing special.

However, when automakers take a cheap platform and try to upmarket it, that's when things can go bad. Many will simply add more sound insulation, a bigger engine, maybe firmer or softer suspension, fancier interior, then slap an Acura badge on a Civic.
            The most annoying parts is when they don't even change the body panels. If the chassis is a good design that can handle the power, weight, and performance of a 'premium' car, then reuse it, but at least make a new body.
            ~Austin
            Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

I like how some stupid person yet again put under "Past Examples" for Ford Fiesta also known as the Mazda 121, no dingus, it is the Festiva, get it right.

I will go ahead and edit that to correct it.
              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 07-05-2013, 04:47 PM.
              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by Oren09 View Post
                However, when automakers take a cheap platform and try to upmarket it, that's when things can go bad. Many will simply add more sound insulation, a bigger engine, maybe firmer or softer suspension, fancier interior, then slap an Acura badge on a Civic.
                Prime example... Chev Cavalier - Cadillac Cimarron.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada
                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

That's gross.
                  I've been in a Cavvy. Never want to again. Everything about it speaks cheap. Appearance, materials, build quality, ride. Its just a disgusting example of a car.
                  ~Austin
                  Red 88 L (Ocho)

Comment

What was that Masserati back in the 80's that was basically a Chrysler? Anyone remember those?
                    My personal favorite was the Lincoln Mark VII...built on the Fox/Thunderbird/Cougar platform. I still own an '86 Mark VII LSC, and it is an incredible car. The features, styling and build quality are well above the basic T-bird.
                    Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                    04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                    62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                    Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

^^ Chrysler TC. A K car disguised with alfredo sauce :mrgreen:
                      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X