air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor

I have a chance to buy this air compressor but I don't know anything about it really. It's monstrous, I don't know but I'm guessing ...well you tell me Haha I have no clue how big the tank is!

It's an old compressor for sure, wired for 220, what do you guys think, how much is it worth? It should be in working order...
    Attached Files
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Couple more pics, I'm just wondering how much something like this is worth, I found a couple motors on ebay but I haven't found a whole compressor with the tank and everything..
    Attached Files
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I saw a vid on Youtube extolling the benefits of multiple small compressors + extra tank and how to hook them up. At least they are portable, and quieter.
      Are you sure you really want that old beast? It's like buying a military generator that you have to tow behind your car. Breathe deeply a half a dozen times and reconsider.
      Empire Liquidators in Buffalo gets compressors all the time. All bids start at 99 cents
      Last edited by bravekozak; 07-04-2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Could definitely make room for it and deal with the noise. I have a 10 gal portable tank plumbed into my 20 gal tank right now but.its still not enough to sandblast. I have an extra compressor but not the right pulleys to hook it up to the current motor+compressor combo. Just not sure about it, its almost a century old and I can't.find much as far as its value. I can get it cheap, really cheap, but is it even worth that? I really don't know what size that tank is..100/150gallon??
        Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-04-2013, 10:58 PM.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Yeah that's a beast.
          Being built so long ago its probably built like a tank .
          Will probably run forever.
          But would you be able to source parts if ever needed.
          Search online and read people reviews who own the tank and find its praises or flaws.
          And determine if it is a gem or a pile of junk.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Motors and tanks are pretty easy to find, the big thing is the compressor itself. It says Carrier on the head so at least it's a brand name. I'd get the model number off the compressor and see if you can get repair parts for it. I have an Ingersoll Rand that is about the same size as that one but with a slightly larger tank. I run a tire changer, blasting cabinet, spray guns, air tools, and pretty much anything you can think to hook up to it with no problems. It's the compressor I grew up using so it's at least as old as I am (40) but the nice thing is I can still get parts for it. I had to replace head gaskets a while back and had no problem ordering replacements.

I have no idea what that one is worth but if it ever needs parts and you can't get them then it's value takes a nose dive. Better to pay a little more for something you can service if needed than get a good deal on something that becomes instantly obsolete if it breaks.
            If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
            Zulu Ministries

Comment

Looks like a 40 gallon tank and 2 hp. Doesn't look rusted out or abused. If the compressor feels and sounds good rocking and turning by hand it should be pretty dependable but not as high of performance as new 2 horse compressors that have more features. It could outlast a new compressor, most now days are built in countries that excel in making inexpensive products that last just long enough to get you through till their new and improved model is out. I would take that old one over a HF one anyday!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Really you think that's only 40 gallons? I don't know that thing is way bigger than the 60 gallon tanks from HF, its just horizontal instead of vertical. Probably a solid foot wider and longer.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Measure and do some math

231 cubic inches to one gallon of volume.

And depends on nozzle size, need serious cfm to blast.

I'm using a pair of freon compressors with the holes in the plates bored out bigger, reed style valves, and the manifolds force fed with a Buick supercharger.

All behind a 7.3 IDI diesel with automatic.

Pressure switch trips the throttle when needed, (electric), and always stays in first. Torque converter takes the slip when up to pressure and idling. Drops below 80psi, solenoid snaps the throttle about 1/2 way.

I'm around 200/250cfm. 1/4 nozzle it'll hold 75psi constant. For 150psi starts I use a pair of 500 gall propane tanks, but eventually it mellows to 70/75 since the cfm is still too low. Like I said, need serious Cfm if using a big tip for any length of time.

I have a commercial 2 stage I'd like to mount and drive as well, I should easily be over 300cfm. Now, that'll be impressive to stay near 120/125psi.

But, she runs on anything. Atf, used oil, hydraulic oil, peanut oil, whatever I find.

I blast semi trailers and such occasionally. So I needed something larger the HF had on the floor.

My pressure pot holds 10000# of sand and hose is 2".

It's a blast to use, stand forward, prepare to squeeze the dead man valve, and lean into it!

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                  Last edited by jason_; 07-05-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

The one pic that has a pop can and a yellow quart bottle gives a visual reference..I don't think its that big, certainly not over 60!! There should be a cert tag welded to the tank somewhere.
                    Those old ones are much heavier, the motor and compressor is usually spread out more so it
                    really is bigger and heavier but the capacity and hp will compare directly to todays stuff. It is hard to beat old iron and copper for quality.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I wish I could sandblast at home.
                      They sell a one gallon pressure pot for the home diyer.
                      It has like a .25" hose with a tiny nozzle and uses regular sand.
                      I wouldnt mind having one for small parts.
                      No high cfm requirements.

I still have my c7 training course manual floating around if you ever need any solid information on blasting.
                      It's from a course that requires 700 hours of training then the test.
                      Not many people have taken the course.
                      I also have a smaller book on sandblasting I could probably send you.

I have a cfm requirement chart as well if you wanted to determine the best tip size to use for your cfm flow output.
                      No need in using too big a tip that would reduce velocity over time.
                      Well get you the perfect tip the first time.
                      And it will keep its velocity at its fullest the whole time.
                      Last edited by rmoltis; 07-05-2013, 11:08 AM.
                      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

The motor is really ancient and it may be hard to find anyone who can work on it, but a replacement 2HP motor is no problem to get. Like everyone says, make sure compressor parts can be had. Check for rust on the tank. I like it! It will be quieter than any modern oil less compressors. I wouldn't have one of those.

Comment

This is strictly a guess, but i would say this is a "home brewed" setup.

With "Carrier" on the compressor I think someone simply took an air conditioning compressor unit and fit it to the tank.

The motor tag has "Wagner" on it so I would say it originally started life as a Wagner air compressor and sometime in it's life the 'presser part took a dump so the Carrier unit was put in place of the original.

Like I said, this is strictly a guess.

Comment

well..it's mine! sitting in my driveway right now, the dang thing probably weighs upwards of 300lbs. I gotta clear out a corner and put a new end on it, it has two sideways posts, the current 220 outlet has one vertical one horizontal. I hope it plugs in and works after that, my uncle said he knows it will work, I'm just kind of wondering if the voltages and amperages and stuff will be compatible or whatever kind of electronical mumbo jumbo that is associated with this type of stuff...I'm just gonna plug it in.
                            Last edited by zoom zoom; 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

I found the compressor in THIS LINK haha..

no wonder the thing was soooo heavy! the motor probably weighs about the same. It's not putting out that much cfm, takes forever to pump up to 120 psi..I might end up having to rebuild it.

just posting links now for later
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Working...
                              X