Hello! New to my old Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    To be on the safe side it's always a good idea to disconnect the battery before doing anything on a car. Especially if it consists of unplugging wires around the gas tank!!
    I'm sure Dan will +1 on this....
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Erin, we are in Houston. You could drive your Festy to where we are working on ours. It's in Friendswood. We are putting the engine back in the car on Saturday so we will have all the tools and manuals out. Welcome.
      If the only tool you have is a hammer, then every job looks like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
        ^ You need a new sending unit!
        I have 4 LOL. 2 with pumps attached (for $8/ea, whole assembly!) One from a 67k Festiva.. just never got around to taking the 2 minutes to flip the seat up and put it on!

White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
        White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
        1988 LX 5-speed
        ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Coldhand View Post
          Erin, we are in Houston. You could drive your Festy to where we are working on ours. It's in Friendswood. We are putting the engine back in the car on Saturday so we will have all the tools and manuals out. Welcome.
          Sounds like a good deal Erin, better send them a PM and figure out where they are!
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            I'm sure Dan will +1 on this....
            Haha right!!
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts
            Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I think the thing that might concern me the most is the eating of oil. Oil consumption is not a good sign, of course if its just leaking then no big deal... Does it smoke any?

Haynes manuals are good but in my experience they are better for helping you do something when you already know what you are trying to do (eg if you have an idea of what is wrong but need to know how to test it or remove/replace it). Sitting is always hard on cars, usually you have to replace EVERY maintenance item so I could see a $900 bill easy if you had an actual mechanic do it.

For the misfire, does it happen just at idle, or when revving the engine?
              Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
              89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

Welcome!!
                To answer your question, My book says 9.9 gallons to fill a dry tank.
                Good Luck with your Festiva!!!
                They are a blast to drive!!
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Another Welcome to the forum.
                  Do you have an itemized list of the repairs that were made for the $900 you spent?
                  You "should" be able to eliminate any parts which are on the list as being replaced, from your remaining problems to be taken care of.

By all means follow up with the offered help on Saturday. Your problems may all be identified, if not solved just by having people who
                  have experience with Festivas, take a look at yours. Take your "repairs to get it running list" with you if you go on Saturday.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 07-09-2013, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Welcome!!!

Hey advanceddynamix aren't you close? Kinda?

-James
                    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Welcome Erin, those in Houston can help you with your car and you should take them up on it. If not there is always another day.
                      Everyone on here are festy fanatics!
                      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

high Erin: first thing i would do is inspect the condition of the plugs (first indicator of internal issues). next, i would pull the fuel pump assembly and inspect the rubber tube that goes between the pump and the feed tube at the mounting flange. those rubber tubes are known to break down/crack and/or devlope holes that bleed off fuel pressure. this issue is made worse once the fuel drops below the level of the leak. the lack of pressure and more importantly, volume can cause a lean miss (this is bad). once the condition of the pump assembly is determined (repaired if nessisary), do a compression test. you should see at least 150 psi in each cylinder with no more than a 15% deviation between cylinders.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^ What he said.
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

scan0001.jpg

Erin, this is a wonderful community of Festiva enthusiasts. A major portion of the folks here are very mechanically inclined. I you read around a bit, you'll get tidbits about adding giant engines and all sorts of other stuff. It is really important that you have a good book for the car. I was never satisfied with Haynes and Chilton books because of a lack of detail. I found the Ford brand manual (FPS-12133-91) and wiring diagram supplement (FPS-12136-91I) invaluable. It tells you everything but the wrench sizes.

You should be using 5W30 oil. It holds under 4 quarts. There are many things that get under-maintained on cars. After it gets going well, consider having the timing belt checked for integrity. It's a fat cousin to the belts that you can see; it connects some of the engines innards together and is supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles or so. Since you're not up here in the rust-belt, you should be able to get another 100,000 miles out of her.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X