Hunting Diagnostic Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting Diagnostic Information

Does anyone know of any publications to help with diagnostics of the Festiva other than the factory manual, EVTM & wiring diagrams? I'm wondering if there is a dedicated, specific book on engine control or operating strategy. I read somewhere that the Festiva uses the MECS-Mazda Engine Control System. I have not been able to find anything about MECS anywhere. Does the fuel injection use EEC-IV strategy? The carb system is explained but not named. There is a service manual I saw listed for Powertrain Control/ Emissions Diagnosis that includes several vehicles but I'm leary that this is the same information in the factory manual.
    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

pm sent. there is a ford publication that explains the mazda system. it shows all the components and their functions and trouble codes for all ford cars using the mazda system. if it could be stickied, i might be willing to risk copywright infringement charges and jail time to start scanning the many pages.

Comment

here is the publication i'm referring to.
      here is the order # if you wanted to try and get one. obviously at this late a date, they might not be available or if hey are, they might be more than $12. the phone # to order is 800-782-4356

here's a few example pages from this training manual

according to this, you can find detailed info on the emissions in one of these diagnosis publications for the EFI engines and in section 55 of the shop manual for the FBC engines.

Last edited by F3BZ; 07-14-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

almost forgot, this is about the best pub for carb info. always some on eBay.

Comment

For those that want to learn more about computer functions and logic this information and the ecm pin out diagrams with a way to test engine off key on and engine running values...this is a gold mine of information. You will learn what each pin is doing and later you will know what to expect at each pin.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thanks to F3BZ for all this information!! The trouble with cover pictures on websites is obviously that you can't tell what is actually in the book and if it's what you're looking for. I have occasionally searched for MECS and Mazda Engine Control System and nothing would show up when I was searching. Now I finally found EEC IV Monitor Diagnostics Manual - MECS. Finally I can see there's a relationship between MECS and Ford's OBD system. Thanks F3BZ for posting all the pics.
            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

I just went online and ordered me a copy. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup:
              1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Omg!!! This book was a god sent. Its cut hours of working things out on my own.
                Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
                1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Note to self - Find the MECS book Thanks for posting that up F3 :thumbup:

I have this book by Charles O Probst, SAE. It's probably the best book ever written about Ford's EEC-IV system. I originally bought it for all the Mustang work I was doing at the time but I was surprised a few nights ago to find that there is some MECS info sprinkled throughout the book and some very good diagrams in the back. It even has Festiva diagrams and pinouts!

If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                  Zulu Ministries

Comment

I just purchased a copy of the Ford MECS manual off Ebay. There's listings for 2 more if anyone is interested

Just search for "Ford 1988-1992 Electronic Engine Control Systems 1.3 1.6 1.8 2.2"
                    Last edited by Zanzer; 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM.
                    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                    Zulu Ministries

Comment

I just bought one as well - it should serve as a good compliment to the EVTMs I already have! I'd never even seen this publication before, so thanks!
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Just snagged the last one :toothy7:
                        Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                        '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                        '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

Working...
                        X