AC Recharge Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Recharge Questions

Hey guys so I am working on the festiva this weekend and wanted to get the AC recharged so I went into o'reillys and asked the gay if my car had r12 or r134a he looked it up and said r134a, so I go home and I found what I believe to be the high and low pressure valves (top left of engine area) but I cannot get the hose to clamp on no matter how hard I try. I cant find any info on google and only thing I have found on here about ac recharge is r12 to r134a conversion so I am wondering if I even have the right stuff. Thanks for any info

Here is the picture I took with what I think are the valves I took the caps off I think the one on the right is the low pressure.

Comment

Mine doesn't have AC but I believe that Festivas are R12.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
        Mine doesn't have AC but I believe that Festivas are R12.
        Oh I probably should have mentioned, I have 1992 GL with AC, but I hope it doesn't have R12 =/

Comment

To convert it to 134 there is a kit you can buy at autozone that screws onto the high and low pressure lines. They have a larger diameter than the r12 ones. When ipulled mine it was tore apart so i was pretty sure there wasn't too much r12 left in there. I just put a couple cans in and was good to go.

That was a year ago and i still have cold ac.
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

92 is def R12. If you do R134a make sure you do get the ones that are made for conversion, as normally the oils between the two types do not mix. The conversion kits will have the correct cans with compatible oil, fittings and hoses, people will say you have to change out a bunch of components, and vacuum it all out, I had a 92 subaru legacy that I just released any pressure the r12 system had, put the 134a adapter fittings on it, and connected the kit up. Lasted me the 2 years I had the car before it was parted from me destroying the engine. Oreilly should take the 134a kit back since they are the ones that told you the wrong info.
            Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
            89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

In trying to be like a friend here, this post makes me cringe because it sounds like you don't know anything about this. You can't guess about high side and low side pressures or which type of freon (it's R-12). It's dangerous, plus you could ruin your system. There are important things to know. Why not just get a shop to convert it.
              When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
                In trying to be like a friend here, this post makes me cringe because it sounds like you don't know anything about this. You can't guess about high side and low side pressures or which type of freon (it's R-12). It's dangerous, plus you could ruin your system. There are important things to know. Why not just get a shop to convert it.
                Because a/c shops cost an arm, and a leg. We are Festiva owners, we can't afford that. lol
                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

You are correct about high and low side. Your fittings are still r 12 style but any gas can be put in, if you do not know the history of your car the only sure way to ID a gas is to run it through an identifier machine.

134 is the worst gas available for efficiency and performance and it runs higher pressures. The manufacturers of 134 bribed their way into our guvments back pocket so you will find it available. If you use the 134 gas with the conversion oil it will work.

If you can find some legal hybrid gas on ebay it will work better longer with lower pressures and work with any oil of the right weight. R 12 is the next best choice performance wise , I have plenty but it is hard to find, and no I will not sell it to you, it is illegal for me to do so. I use the hybrid gas most as most people want the best performance with the least wear on their compressor. I use 134 for insurance repairs and for 134 systems that the people have not requested the best .
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                    Because a/c shops cost an arm, and a leg. We are Festiva owners, we can't afford that. lol
                    I am sympathetic to that as it is one of the several reasons I have always done almost all the work on my vehicles. Likewise, it costs an arm and a leg to destroy expensive parts or an entire AC system. Worse is the fact that he shows unfamiliarity with basics and could be hurt or killed - and I didn't see anyone looking out for him so far. So...Mr. Zocheyado,if you wish to save money (and be safe), I would suggest you get someone to help you that KNOWS what they are doing and/or will guide you with thorough direction. Third choice is do a lot of research. Please do not connect a freon can to the high pressure side-or work without goggles-or try to put two cans of freon in-or listen to parts sellers that are not mechanics-or................- just want to help you here!
                    When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Working...
                    X