RHD/LHD specific rear brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RHD/LHD specific rear brakes?

here's a head scratcher. maybe someone has an xplanation. I was doing a parts search of the KIA catalogs. specifically was looking to get the part# of the shoe spring/pin kit for Pride rear brakes for my next order to 4GREEN. I've already looked into the backing plates in the past and found they were unavailable from them. too bad since there is some demand to replace 20 yr. old rusting plates on our festivas. but looking at the diagram shown I notice the WHOLE assembly has a part #. everything within the boxed boundary, ready to bolt on, bleed and go! and YES, 4GREEN lists this part as available for about $73. a steal I think considering what you get. what's puzzling me is that there are 2 different part #s for each side depending on whether it's a RHD or LHD car and I can't think of a reason there would be. any ideas? inquiring minds want to know. here are the part #s if someone is interested in purchasing. LHD RIGHT rear KK150 26 980N, LEFT rear KK150 26 990N. RHD RIGHT rear KK10Y26980D, LEFT rear KK10Y26990D.

All you need to do is email the guy and he will direct you to the correct parts.
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Remember the pass. side spindle and nut are opposite threaded, also the backing plate and adjuster arm are side sensitive.
      Owner of:
      1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
      In progress:
      BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

but if i read this correctly, is shouldn't matter if the car is RH or LH drive.... right??? i mean what would be the point of having 2 different left rear plates?
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Might be standard practice for all of their parts because they supply parts for both versions.
          Owner of:
          1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
          In progress:
          BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

Just a guess but some of these cars had 13 inch wheels and others 12 inch. May well be that drums and brakes were sized accordingly.

Comment

I don't know what happened to the pic I attached above. here it is again. but the question still stands. I see no connection between rear brakes and the position of the driver. i'll check to see if there are 2 different part #s for the drum, hubs etc. but it doesn't seem logical that just RHD or LHD cars got 13" wheels. but then KIA parts catalogs also list RHD and LHD backing plates that are different depending whether the car has EFI or FBC. they even show that the horn is different depending on if it's 1.1L or 1.3L.

Comment

Looking at the above drawing, doesn't "LH" vs. "RH" mean which side off the car the part (backing plate or adjuster) is for? I wouldn't interpret it as having anything to do with where the driver sits.

Regarding the horn, LXs (and maybe GLs) have two horns, one on each side, and I think they're different frequencies, which means a different part for each side. Again, nothing to do with driver location.
                88L black, dailydriver
                88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                4 88/89 disassembled
                91L green
                91GL aqua pwrsteer
                92GL red a/c reardmg
                3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

yes LH is for the left of the car and RH is right. what I couldn't get into the picture is the part#s that are given for the assemblies that might make it clearer what i'm saying. in other words, there is a LH backing plate # for a right hand drive car AND there is a LH backing plate # for a left hand drive car. same with the RH backing plate. 4 different part #s for backing plates.

Comment

F3BZ,

That makes no sense at all. What parts are used on the back end of the car has no connection whatosever with where the driver sits on the front end. Even if the brake lines run down the opposite side of the car for the RHD flavor, that should have no effect on the rear brake backing plates.

Perhaps the drafter who made the drawings was one of the dimmer bulbs in the room.
                    88L black, dailydriver
                    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                    4 88/89 disassembled
                    91L green
                    91GL aqua pwrsteer
                    92GL red a/c reardmg
                    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

other than buying this whole assembly, there is one set of just the backing plates shown available still from 4GREEN. but they are for RHD cars from 9/1/97 - 12/15/97. cheap enough to buy just to see if they might work on the festiva. or use as ashtrays if they don't. i'll keep yinz posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X