Does this site cause poor judgement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this site cause poor judgement?

Sometimes it is hard to offer impartial advice. This site just make it that much more difficult!! lol That is a good thing, but the problem is this: A customer has a 2001 hyundai Accent that she drives all over the state. She is older and depends on me to keep the wheels turning.

The Accent has had a prior incident that resulted in the engine being over heated, this has led to seals, gaskets going bad abnormally soon, and now the manual 5 speed is getting really noisy, more than bearings, gears too.

This woman has a sponsor that wants advice about whether to fix this car or to replace this car, and this has came up because I advised the woman that to fix her car at 300K miles I would prefer to install a used engine and transmission with a lot less miles. Her shifter is worn out and needs replaced. Her original suspension and steering stuff are still working but not for long. I advised this woman that a replacement car might be in order for her and her car could be sold to someone needing a few years of mostly in town travel such as a college student car, with only a transmission replacement.

Now the controversy..her sponsor is willing to spend around $1200....not enough to rejuvenate her car completely, but enough to buy a lower mileage economy car. I advise against hondas, toyotas and subarus because it costs more to keep these cars on the road than it does to keep Mazda's, Nissan's, metro's, sprint's and uh Festiva's on the road. I feel that this site has unduly influenced my advise , I mean now I have to explain to some Duramax driver why a car 10 years older than the car on the chopping block might be a good choice!! Thanks guys!! lol

Any advise??

Edit...to further muddy my mess my son just put his Festiva for sale without the seat belts and door latch fixed...not detailed yet dawg gone it!!
    Last edited by Movin; 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM.
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

you summed it up right there.... these cars just work and they're easy/cheap to fix when they go down. try doing that with a newer car.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I would only disagree about the Hondas. I might get blasted for this, but I see them about as rarely as Mazda and VW, parts are easy to find, and wear out very little. While more expensive to repair than a Festiva, they tend to be very reliable when decently maintained. When a "non-car-guy-girl" asks my recommendations, Honda is usually near the top of the list.
      Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
      Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
      "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

I've always considered Toyotas to be very reliable, and easy to work on too.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The reason Honda's and vws cost more is because the parts literally cost more.
          Since they are more desirable.
          Not because they break down more.
          They sure are reliable though if not beaten on their entire lives.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

First , replace , those accents are dime a dozen .

Older toy-toys are extremely good (90s up till about what 2005? approx) , Mazda = good (check the rust) , honda - well young ppl look for those which gets the price up a bit , but good. Then 03+ Rio are bulletproof.

Comment

IMG-20130413-00108.jpg

Comment

Why does this guy keep posting random pics on threads?
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Originally posted by orlandocabimas View Post
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]13305[/ATTACH]
                  :sign6::withstupid: maybe he is a random guy.
                  ;
                  www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                  rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                  '92 Festiva L M/T
                  '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

who can explain me how to make an album... or something... and "random" means??

Comment

Haha. It does. I even recommended to a friend to buy one for a project car. He didn't listen, and is going for a 93 240sx instead, but perhaps when mine is done I'll get the chance to show him why I made that recommendation.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Movin', do you mean it makes you want to suggest rebuilding/replacing things to your customers, instead of buying another car?

In that respect, yes..this site does cause that!!! lol
                        Last edited by drddan; 07-16-2013, 02:29 PM.
                        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

You lost me at someone you know is selling a Festiva. Info?

If she needs it to run for a long time I suggest Honda/Toyota. Can run those things in the dirt and.be OK. Would not.suggest doing that in a Festiva (because we want to preserve them).
                          Fast....Women are fast
                          Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

So many reasons to own a Festy! I have always felt it is my duty to remain unbiased and to make recommendations based purely on the customers needs and desires. Owning Festies and being a member here makes it soooo hard not to compare everything to a festy...
                            I usually don't recommend Kia's and Hyundai's until after 2005 but if the 03 and up ones are doing okay there may be some 1200 dollar options there.

Honda's, Toyota's and Subbies are great cars but they cost more to bring to a shop than the Nissan, Mazda crowd after 100 k miles. I do recommend the CRV, RAV4 , Subbi, and Sportage to those needing 4wd . Older Nissan and Yota's 4x4 last forever and are inexpensive but that is outside of the scope for this woman.

I called and left a message for her sponsor, no conversation yet. This lady has not brought in one single car to be checked over so I am beginning to wonder if she wants to fix her old one rather than buy a low miles one for less than the repair costs. Really, I guess she can't until her sponsor decides which way he wants to go. So here I go..cost to repair vs the festy I just got and the other with 250 K on the clock pulling trailers and no problems, still ready to go only I have a huge hole in it.

Should I even bring up festies to this backhoe Duramax guy? I really do feel a festy is money well spent.

EDIT..My son is selling this car because he got a suzuki side kick . It will be a great car but needs project finished. This is the post where we went and got it.

I don't think its ready to sell yet but he got it running nicely and stopped. Am I being too tough on him?
                            Last edited by Movin; 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM.
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Nope not too tough. Some people don't have the patients for a project. I have almost given up on the Z a few times.
                              Any idea how much he's asking?
                              Fast....Women are fast
                              Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X