Ideas for my 97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for my 97

So here's the thing guys and gals, my first aspire that i ever had is parked right now due to a front end issue that i cannot figure out. Also the transmission is completely shot, but its still barely drivable. This car will essentially be my first ever project. What i want to hear from all of you are some ideas as to what i should do to it. I just met Arty yesterday so i know im in good hands and hoping i can obtain his help with this. Please let me know what you all are thinking!

Well the first thing you want to do is get a handle on what is needed to fix the front end, and to track down a good used tranny. Aspires are getting pretty rare especially for getting parts and most Festy nuts will offer to pull the legs out from under yours first chance they get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      ...and most Festy nuts will offer to pull the legs out from under yours first chance they get!
      True. Aspires are called "brake swaps" here
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

First make the decision if you want to repair your aspire or buy a festiva and have $300-500 of useable parts to upgrade this theoretical not owned yet festiva, from JPT's "rolling brake swap.".
        Next would be to locate a transmission so you can go fast enough to die, i mean diagnose your suspension issues.
        Most everything from the 2 bolt on top Kia rio swaps to your aspire if this is a keeper, peace of mind having all new components.

YOu can figure out your front end without driving in the street of course, and once you do the trans swap you will have taken much of it apart anyway and the culprit can literally fall in your lap at times
        Last edited by getnpsi; 08-03-2013, 12:02 PM.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

What would be a good price for a decent aspire manual tranny?

Comment

I paid $300.00 for the one I had, but around here Aspires are rare. It may be cheaper to have yours rebuilt.
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

If you live near Arty and joined up here all I have to say is welcome!!
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

David, we can go trans shopping later. and since you want to do a manual swap, we're gonna need to find a good donor (pedal assm, flywheel, crossmember, cable, linkage, etc.)
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

I definitely want to do a manual swap. Im from pa but willing to travel if anyone hears of a parts aspire. Arty if you hear of anything let me know, ill need your help pulling parts! Thanks everyone for the ideas. I wouldn't mind having a festiva, they look more fun.

Comment

bp/g box swap ........ if you didn't have a 97
                      -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Working...
                      X