festiva vs aspire ebrake cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• festiva vs aspire ebrake cable

I know somebody has an answer, can I swap an aspire ebrake cable into my Festiva? I really need an ebrake and I really don't want to pay for one right now.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I know that when I did my aspire swap, I used the cable from it, a four door auto. I would think you could use it.

Running around outside the asylum again with my tappy talky appy
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Not sure on the location of the break in your cable but I have fixed several with a short piece of cable and two cable clamps . They usually break inside the rubber support about three inch from the wheel . Just add a piece and clamp it and your done .
      New build on the way .

Comment

Mine was totally gone around the rear axel. I went to a salvage yard and found a good one off another Festy and replaced the whole thing.
        Last edited by muleskinner; 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM.
        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
          Not sure on the location of the break in your cable but I have fixed several with a short piece of cable and two cable clamps . They usually break inside the rubber support about three inch from the wheel . Just add a piece and clamp it and your done .
          yea both sides of mine are busted right in that area, and the rest of the wire doesn't look very healthy so I figure a replacement is the only way to go with this one lol..

I'll snag one off an aspire soon and try it, just didn't want to go at it blind to find out that it won't work. thanks scitzz
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Maybe one the six cable buyers on the last Four Green group buy could sell you one of their original cables.

Comment

From what I can tell and from what I've heard Aspire cables are about 1/4-3/8 inch longer at the trailing arm ends. Aspire e-brake to Festy is OK (especially for brake swaps) but going the other way is going to leave you short. If you can figure a way to extend the connections at the brake drums the whole thing should work. OEM is a u-shaped bracket that a pin drops through and ought to be able to be jury-rigged to be longer if necessary.

Comment

Matt, you can have the e-brake cable that came off my car. It's leftover from the Aspire swap. It is a Festy cable in great condition. LMK before I take all the leftover stuff to the scrapper within the next few days.
                -Bryant

Comment

You can not use a aspire cable on a festiva . Unless you shorten it .
                  you can not put aspire spindles on a festiva axle unless you lengthen the cable .
                  You can not use a festiva e cable on an aspire complete rear axle .
                  Tell me I'm wrong . Then show me ! With pictures
                  New build on the way .

Comment

I don't have pics but I DID put an Aspire cable on my Festiva without any mods. It is on an Aspire beam (maybe that's the difference). Didn't have to shorten anything. It was off a 2 door Aspire.
                    -Bryant

Comment

I will take that Festy cable off your hands Bryant...if rob says no go then I don't really want to mess with it. I kinda figured there was something to the width of the rear axles but I didn't know if there was a simple solution or if it could be made up for with the adjuster. Anyway ill get ahold of you, I get paid Tuesday, not gonna let you just give it to me so we'll work something out here soon.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

LOL I gave away an Engine/tranny combo but you wanna pay for an e-brake cable? Ok. how about a bottle of Diet Pepsi. I also have your can of PB Blaster from our junkyard day.

I took the cable off the beam right after I posted last, and got it lubed up with some silicone stuff. looks good.

I go back to work Tuesday. I will probably be on 10's through the week and 5's on Sat's so we can meet up in the evenings after 6.
                        -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                          You can not use a aspire cable on a festiva . Unless you shorten it .
                          you can not put aspire spindles on a festiva axle unless you lengthen the cable .
                          You can not use a festiva e cable on an aspire complete rear axle .
                          Tell me I'm wrong . Then show me ! With pictures
                          I did an Aspire swap (incl trailing arm and pivot bracket, off a 97 5 door) 2 1/2 years ago and had to re-use the original Festy e-brake because the Aspire cable was toast. I slackened (backed it off about 1/2 inch) the adjuster nut at the handbrake in order to do this. The whole thing has worked fine for me so far and I did not have to extend the cable ends.

Comment

I'd imagine if you wanted to drill new holes in the floor if youre adding a custom console that would work as well and not even touch the cable. I always read aspire with the aspire festys with festyyou would have no headache because I thought that things were different under the car on the arms. A lot of neat consoles with armrests have the shifter and the e-brake not linear is kind of off set and that opens up opportunities for interior if you don't mind moving the seatbelt stuff too
                            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Working...
                            X