New (to me) '89 LX - wth questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) '89 LX - wth questions!

Sorry this took so long, I've put in about 60 hours this week..

Alrighty then. '89 LX, 5-speed carb, all options but underseat tray, riding on 13" Metro Steelies. 116k miles, A/C (works a tiny bit, needs recharge). Has pretty low rust, and he repaired the driver's side floorboard. All the carpet is out currently (what the black patches on the floor are - glue), so we're thinking of Rhino Lining inside and out. Oh, and SHORT SHIFTER. She rides like a new car.. seriously, she rides beautifully.

We bought it knowing the carb was a bit messed up (what he believes to be the problem), and got it 50/70 miles home before it stopped running haha.

Rest of my current pictures (some are a little blurry, sorry. I had 3 hours of sleep and 13 hours in at work when I took these LOL):

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So here's what happened:

Once I went to leave work (bought car at 9PM 2 hours away from home, drove to work at 3AM lol), started right up. Got about 10 miles or so and started feeling a chug, decided I'd keep going until the next town (about 6 miles), then I'd pull over... I got about 1.5 miles more, and it chugged so bad I had to turn it off and coast onto a side road.

I spent the next two hours blowing out the rubber fuel lines I could access, cutting off the fuel filter (after trying to blow it out), and praying it would start.

What it does now:

Starts if you COMPLETELY hold the pedal down, runs to about 1.5k RPM, drops to 500, dies. If you pump (fast, repeatedly) the pedal after it starts, it'll chug hard but get to about 2k RPM before it dies.

I was originally thinking fuel pump.. but if it was the pump, would it get any fuel in the first place? I know with EFIs the pump goes, you go.. but don't the carbs have a manual pump and/or manual on engine + electric in tank? Would it be able to start with a bad pump?

Any help would be awesome. I'll be working on this gal all tomorrow, so any ideas at all!!

Thanks!

-Joe
    Last edited by Spike; 08-09-2013, 10:13 PM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Next will be a Weber, hopefully. Just have to find the time..

Suzuki Samurai 1.3L carb + electric pump? What all would I remove towards vacuum lines, which ones are important (brake booster, ect.)? Anyone still sell a carb adapter plate?
    1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Where did you pick this up? It looks familiar to my local CL browsing
      -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
      Random Festiva Parts
      Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Indianapolis.

Someone posted it on here, and I floored my auto to get there before it sold.
        1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

That is a nice clean 89'! I wish my 89' looked that clean under the hood. Of course I'm glad mine is an EFI manual 5 speed and not a carb manual 5 speed.

You might have a vac problem.
          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

check the sight glass at the bowl, try to feed it fuel manualy while someone else cranks

pull the fuel line after the pump, have the engine crank with the coil power wire disconected and check for flow volume

remove the 14mm bolts from directly above the throttle linkage (passenger side of carb) on the bowl and get access to the jets (they may be clogged)
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Alright.. I dunno what I did, but it's running great now! I took mostly everything apart - never did find those 14mm bolts, though. Never actually got down the jets. I just took a lot apart, got fed up, slapped it back together, went to start it up, ran like A DREAM. God blessed us.

Little bit of a high idle, but ran fine all the way up to 5k RPM. We drove it about 20 miles with no issues whatsoever!

Now to order mah Weber (already in touch with Rocketman for an adapter!!).

-Joe
              1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

With any carb, no matter what else you do, Weber swap included, you want to read post #5 of this thread

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-now-won-t-run

The fuel line mentioned in above link will need changed! Never know, may have been the problem you just experienced
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

^^^Will do, sir. Anything to make these carbs less complicated is great by me.
                  1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Just a bit of an update:

We got brave yesterday, and drove her all the way to.. da da da... St. Louis (about 220 miles)!

Drove great at 65-78 the whole way. Had a little stumble once we actually got in-city, but I took 5 minutes to replace that fuel like Drddan told me about, and it hasn't stumbled since.

Man, I love this car.

Also, sorry I didn't contact any of the St. Louis crowd, but it was more of a drive than anything else. Cost us $45 in gas total for about 490 miles of driving hahahahahahaha.

38MPG.

Love that.

-Joe
                    1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                      Just a bit of an update:

We got brave yesterday, and drove her all the way to.. da da da... St. Louis (about 220 miles)!

Drove great at 65-78 the whole way. Had a little stumble once we actually got in-city, but I took 5 minutes to replace that fuel like Drddan told me about, and it hasn't stumbled since.

Man, I love this car.

Also, sorry I didn't contact any of the St. Louis crowd, but it was more of a drive than anything else. Cost us $45 in gas total for about 490 miles of driving hahahahahahaha.

38MPG.

Love that.

-Joe
                      :thumbs_up:
                      1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                      1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                      1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                      2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                      2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                      2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                      1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X