Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Festivas WOW at Shift Fast Motorsports Dyno Day in SC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festivas WOW at Shift Fast Motorsports Dyno Day in SC...

And never even made it on the rollers!!!
    LOL :mrgreen:

Long story so take some Adderall and buckle up because it's well worth the read :thumbup:

Festevil3 told us about a big dyno day being hosted by Shift Fast Motorsports in Rock Hill, SC yesterday so a few of us decided to head down and put a couple of the cars on the rollers to see what they were putting down. Their dyno day deal was $35 for 3 pulls so we couldn't pass that up (most shops in this area do $45 for 3 on dyno days) plus it was a good opportunity to see some sweet cars and spread the Festiva gospel

Well the $35 deal really drew a crowd! There was at least 50 cars there and when they opened signups at 11am the list was full by 11:20!! Motoxpress got slot 15 and Festevil3 got slot 16. SFM said they would give a voucher for anyone who signed up but didn't get their pulls in and let them come back at a later date to fulfill their 3 for $35. This not being my first dyno day (I used to spend many weekends on or near the rollers when I built Mustangs) I told the guys to get ready to receive a voucher by the end of the day because most shops do good to get 10-12 cars through their pulls in a day. And then we waited...

But the best part happened while we waited: We took Motoxpress' B6T car "Altered" and Festevil3's B6T car "Festicle". As soon as we pulled into the lot we started getting looks and smiles. When they popped the hoods we really started drawing crowds! Comments ranged from "Holy crap!" to "this was my first car!" (many of those from other car owners) to "I never would have thought you could do something like this with this car!". And it was like that all day! On more than one occasion I would look over to the area where our cars were parked and there would be at least 10 people standing in front of the cars, pointing, making comments, and generally looking them over in amazement. At one point Kevin's Dad said he was going to start charging a $1 admission price for looking at the cars LOL :mrgreen:

The 2 little turbo Festivas were easily the most popular cars on the lot and the competition was stiff! This was no Mustang, Camaro, Honda event. There was a Lamborghini, Viper convertible, M3's, S2000's, GTR's, EVO's, Speed3's, built Mustangs, muscle cars, you name it and it was probably there. And all these guys were looking at the B6T cars in enthusiastic amazement! They got tons of "way to go man!" and "that's so awesome! You can do that with this car!" or "You NEVER see these cars anymore and I never would have though they were capable of THIS!" and MANY "Props to you for doing something totally different and totally awesome!". Will and Kevin were giving people rides in their cars like the B6T's were ponies at the county fair and everyone came back after the ride with a big smile on their face

We were talking to one of the guys who works at the shop (and owns a built EVO) and he asked Will how much he has in his car. When Will told him, the guys jaw hit the pavement. His response was "WHAT!? I have that much in a turbo!!" When we told him about all the possible swaps, parts costs, ease of modification, and "fun per dollar spent" factor the guy was an instant convert and announced "I have got to get me one of these!"

And it was like that with everyone all day :mrgreen:

But by the end of the day they had to end the event and we still hadn't made it on the dyno This is where I give Shift Fast Motorports a huge thumbs up and a shining endorsement! These guys are top notch and willing to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy! They're also completely non-biased and show love to whatever you drive! Most dyno shops won't give you the time of day when you tell them you drive a Festiva, but the guys at SFM were part of the crowd that fell in love with our cars...especially the owner of the shop

So when Caine (the shop owner) came around to give us the bad news, of course we were very disappointed. He told us we could come back on whatever day we chose to honor our voucher but we told him we had multiple cars and had made a bit of a drive to get there on this day. He seemed genuinely sympathetic to our situation and told us if we could pick a Sunday to come back he would open up the shop just for us so there was no waiting like we had experienced on this day. I got to thinking about it and said that would actually work out better because then I could bring my car down for a couple of pulls. I have a bone stock B3 Aspire motor 93 I've been wanting to get on the rollers for a baseline to compare mods to and get an idea of driveline losses as well....basically a "control group".

That's when the shop owner told me "if you bring your car down we'll run it for free". And then he even took it a step further! He said "Actually guys, tell you what, if you want to bring your cars back and any other cars you want to run (as long as we keep it below 10 cars) we'll give you your own personal dyno day with the same deal we had today (3 for $35) and we'll even do free hot dogs and drinks for you guys just like today's event".

Well, you know the only response to that offer was a resounding "HECK YA!!!". :mrgreen:

So all in all, even though we didn't get to make any runs, we successfully spread the Festy message, found an AWESOME shop, and even got our own Festiva dyno day!!! :thumbup:

So to anyone who wants to put their car on the dyno, has $35, and is willing to make the drive...Shift Fast Motorsports will be hosting a Festiva Dyno Day in 2 weeks!

We have 5 spots left and I'll post a specific thread for it for anyone who wants to sign up.
    Last edited by Zanzer; 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM.
    If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
    Zulu Ministries

Very cool indeed!
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

..and now for some pictures

Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

^^ Awesomeness! Thanks for the pics! I knew I could count on the pic junky :mrgreen:

WWZD
        Zulu Ministries

Comment

What was that VW Splitty packing that he wanted to dyno the thing?
          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
          Random Festiva Parts
          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

..and there is more

BURNOUT CONTEST

THIS GUY BLEW HIS STUFF UP

AND ONE FOR THE RIDE HOME

Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
              What was that VW Splitty packing that he wanted to dyno the thing?
              1600cc-ish he was going for 52 HP

Comment

Awesome!!
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

one more

Comment

i'd love to make the trip and throw Skippy on.... but i'm not free till madness, so you suckers better represent!!!
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

^^ Word! We already have 5 or 6 cars to run! The Aspire engine won't be a barn burner but I'm hoping to get a good cross sections of swaps! We've even got a couple of swapped auto cars to get a good idea of losses through the slush box

It'll be on a Sunday man, just take the following Monday off!
                      Last edited by Zanzer; 08-12-2013, 04:58 PM.

WWZD
                      Zulu Ministries

Comment

I think I am more excited to put Barbie Car on the rollers than Festycul! Can't wait it is going to be real fun, and the owner was an awesome guy!

Comment

Subscribed.
                          Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                          '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                          '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

so kool guys!
                            Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Looks like a blast! I can't wait to see the dyno numbers on your cars, anybody got a b6 and bp swap to take(non turbo)?!
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                              1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                              1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                              1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                              1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                              1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Working...
                              X