Is driving slower better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is driving slower better?

In October of 1973 a group of nations got sick of the US “foreign policy” of military intervention, and, knowing we had developed a lifestyle totally dependent on oil, they all agreed not to sell us any more.

This caused massive and immediate affects throughout the US economy. Buying fuel, at any price, meant waiting in long lines – on those days you were even allowed to buy gas at all*

The government took steps to encourage conservation – which (unlike sourcing new oil) could be done immediately – such as banning Christmas lights.

Another major step they took was to enact a national speed limit of 55mph.

The reason for this is that at higher speeds air resistance increases exponentially** relative to speed. Going twice as fast requires 4 times the energy. This is as true of modern vehicles as it was in 1973. It will always be true, because it is due to fundamental physics. All vehicles, small or large, gas or alternative fuel, use more energy at speeds above 45mph.

In fact, going from 55 to 70mph typically uses between 20% and 25% more fuel to go the same distance.***
    25% is a massive amount more fuel to use – at our current national usage, that amounts to approximately 5 million barrels of oil every single day!That’s 175 million gallons.

That just happens to almost exactly equal the amount we purchase from the Middle Eastern OPEC nations.
    In other words, if we still had (and actually enforced!!!!) a 55mph national speed limit today, that alone could completely eliminate any need for importing oil from the Middle East.

Similar to the relationship between wind resistance and speed, kinetic energy varies with the square of speed.

Energy=1/2 mass X velocity2 ****

This means that if you are going twice as fast, it will take four times as much force to stop.
    In other words, it will take four times the braking distance to stop in an emergency.

If it takes four times longer to stop, you are much more likely to slam into something full force which, at a lower speed, you could have come to a full stop in time to avoid hitting at all.

It also means that if you do end up in a crash, at twice the speed you will have four times the impact force.
    At four times the impact, crumple zones and airbags can’t stop your organs from hitting your ribs hard enough to literally explode.

The energy in the previous equation dictates how hard you hit. Whatever energy isn’t absorbed by the car and restraints, gets absorbed by you.

A lot of people focus on the size of the car or truck they are in, believing a large amount of vehicle mass will absorb more crash energy.
    Look at the formula: that’s half true.

Literally.

The affect of mass gets divided by two. But velocity is not only factored in fully, it is squared. In plain English, this means that speed plays an overwhelmingly larger role in how bad a crash is than mass.

And incidentally, going back to the first point – a smaller car has a shorter braking distance at any speed, and so is less likely to crash into anything in the first place. Ask yourself: Which would you rather do, crash and survive, or not crash in the first place? This is why crash test ratings do not reflect safety – they only tell you if you will survive a crash, as though a crash were inevitable. They aren’t. And as it turns out, drivers of mid-size sedans actually do have less fatalities than drivers of full-size SUVs (along with all other sizes of SUV, all sizes of truck, and even heavier full-size cars. All of these are statistically more dangerous than mid-size cars, which should be more than enough to dispel the myth that heavy=safe, if only people knew the statistics) .

I realize that almost everyone actually feels they are safe when they are driving a car.
    It is human nature to take anything which is commonplace for granted. We tend to fear things which seem to have an infinitesimally remote chance of happening.

Interestingly the number one cause of death of all young people in the US in car crashes. It causes more deaths among young people than murder, suicide, cancer, and heart disease combined. It is the number one cause of death up until age 40, at which point it is still in the top 3.

We don’t hear about it much in the news precisely because it is so common. There are roughly 16,500 accidents significant enough to be reported in the U.S. EVERY DAY. Of these, roughly 1/3 to 1/2 result in permanent injuries. Every 12 minutes, an American dies in a car crash.

Every time you get into a car, you may die.

The number one factor in causing all of these deaths and injuries? It isn’t alcohol. It isn’t teen drivers or cell phones. It’s speed.

Speeding is the single largest factor in injury and fatality collisions.

Contrary to popular belief, driving slower is safer even when other cars around you are speeding.

Here are two different studies’ conclusions on the issue, after compiling actual accident data:

“risk of involvement in a casualty crash, relative to the risk for a car traveling at 60 km/h, increased at an exponential rate for free traveling speeds above 60 km/h [37mph]” ”First, the probability of a crash is approximately proportional to the square of the travel speed. Second, in a crash, injury risk is approximately proportional to the impact forces on a person, which in turn are proportional to the square of the impact speed. These two effects can be summarized in a general rule of thumb: When travel speed increases by 1%, the injury crash rate increases by about 2%, the serious injury crash rate increases by about 3%, and the fatal crash rate increases by about 4% ”

And finally, a chart from the DHS defensive driving course:

So, ok, by now you are starting to accept the physics and the statics.

The catch:

There is, of course, an obvious drawback to driving slower: it takes more time to get somewhere.
    That is, of course, why people do it. Who wants to spend more time than they have to sitting in a car?

Time for just a little more math:

Time = Distance / Speed

What does this mean for typical driving speeds? Here, I’ll do the calculations for you:

1 hour = (60min x 60sec) = 3600seconds
    3600 seconds / 65mph = 55 seconds
    It takes 55 seconds to go one mile at 65mph.

3600/55mph = 65 seconds

1 mile at 65mph= 55seconds
    1 mile at 55mph= 65seconds

Difference = 65-55 = 10 seconds

Slowing down from 65mph to 55mph means it will take you an additional 10 seconds to go a mile. Ten seconds. That’s it.
    Speeding up from 65 to 75 would only gain 7 seconds. Going from 75 to 85 saves 6 seconds. The faster you go, the less time it saves.

When you are tempted to go above the speed limit, remind yourself that the faster you go, the less time you save per increase in speed. You can do the math yourself if you have trouble believing that.

A typical drive is 10 miles. Over a 10 mile drive by driving at the legal maximum instead of 10 under, you will waste 25% more gas (increasing your gas bill by 25%), and increase your risk of death by 60-100%, all to save just a minute and a half. A minute which you may well end up losing again at a single stop light. I’m sure you have been passed by a speed demon only to catch up to them a minute later at the red light they raced to (or are you always that speed demon? Either way, you know what I mean). I find that even at 20mph under the limit, the ETA estimates that Google Maps and my GPS unit give me are always spot on, if not slightly late. Both systems assume I will drive at the speed limit, and calculate how long the trip should take based on that. I often get where I am going sooner than they said I would, even though I drive slower than they expect.

Even on a long drive, say 350 miles from SF to LA, speeding by 10mph the entire way only saves a little over a half an hour.
    That half an hour meant using up an extra 3 gallons of gas, or almost $11. According to the study quoted above, you also increase your risk of death by up to 100%.

Just some food for thought, and a little incentive for anyone who might be considering driving a little slower
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Interesting. We have roads that the normal human can't maintain the speed limit on. Most just won't, not knowing the limits of their vehicle. I can very often double the speed of the person I get caught behind. It's caused me more than once to go from a 45 minute commute to over an hour. Often it's a road where the limit is 40, people are doing 30-35, and I can comfortably hold 65-70 for most of it. I'm talking big open straights and sweepers where NOBODY lives, and it's still a 40mph zone.

Though I agree with that increase in risk of death thing. I've found the things I'm comfortable with on the road make other people squirm in the seat beside me. Weirdly, I get good fuel economy most times. Not hypermiler stuff, but better than others I ask in my area. Maybe because I slow down so little, so I also speed up very little.

Hmm.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Simple science. Fighting wind resistance more the faster you drive.
      Cars slow from turning sharp and fighting curves. , to maintain needs more fuel.

Fighting hills to keep speed from car weight, burns more fuel.

Flooring to get to speed quick burns unnecessary amounts of fuel.

Bigger tires and higher ratios burns more fuel, as it's harder to turn and keep turning.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
      Last edited by jason_; 08-13-2013, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Interesting piece you submitted. I think most people are intuitively aware of all this but it is nice to see solid facts now and again. I experienced the Arab oil embargo of 73. Lots of scared folks were jettisoning their suddenly devalued V8 land yachts and buying into smaller cars and imports but all that fear-mongering didn't last long. Gas had been 39 cents/Imperial gallon for well over a decade in Ontario and suddenly almost doubled. Whereas before I could drive around all week for $2 in my Austin Mini, I was not inconvenienced all that much when it took $3.50 to fill up. Mind you minimum wage back then was in around $1.50/hr!

Comment

What is this "driving slow" you speak of?? :confused4:
          If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
          Zulu Ministries

Comment

While I've not done the math for stopping, accident rates, etc. I have known about the "45 MPH barrier" for best fuel economy for quite a few years.

When the subject of foreign oil or government involvement into MPG for manufactures comes up I usually point out the oil embargo of the early 1970's and how the speed limit went down.

IMHO, IF the government was so concerned about how many barrels of oil are being consumed/imported they would drop the speed limit again. I don't think that is going to happen in the near future.

BTW, I'm THE guy that other drivers can't stand sharing the road with. 55 mph MAX even on the freeway. I camp in the right lane. "Hey, if you don't like it, pass" is my motto. Ride my rear bumper, my right foot gets lighter.

I've told a lot of people, "It's about MPG, NOT MPH" when I'm driving.

There have been PLENTY of times that I will get passed and a few miles up the road who am I behind at the stop sign? The same driver who felt they had to be there yesterday and was attempting to do just that by blowing by me sucking up more fuel to accomplish the mission.

Comment

This should be put in the drivers hand book for all states and question added to the drivers tests related speed. Those who already
              have a license and are stopped for speeding should be handed this and told they can get a reduction on their fine if they pass a test on it.

I think most driver have not a clue about the true reasons why slower driving save money and lives. They need to give it a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
                Even on a long drive, say 350 miles from SF to LA, speeding by 10mph the entire way only saves a little over a half an hour.
                That half an hour meant using up an extra 3 gallons of gas, or almost $11. According to the study quoted above, you also increase your risk of death by up to 100%.
                Not to mention that on long trips, the time you save by driving faster will be partially eroded by more-frequent gas stops!
                Example for a 1000-mile trip:
                1. 1000 miles/45 MPG, driving at 60 MPH = 22.2 gallons of gas.
                Travel time = 1000/60 = 16.7 hours. Two pit stops for gas/bathroom/buying munchies, 1/2 hours each = 1 hour. Total trip time = 17.7 hours.
                2. 1000 miles divided by 38 MPG, driving at 70 MPH = 26.3 gallons, roughly $15 more at current prices.
                travel time = 1000/70 = 14.3 hours. Three pit stops, 1.5 hours. Total trip time = 15.8 hours.
                (I educated-guessed at the MPG figures, but you get the idea.)

So an extra $15 for gas, plus the extra munchies you bought, to save about two hours. For some it's worth it, for others not so much. If you had to do the trip in one day it makes sense to go faster. but if it's a two-day deal, less urgency.

Ways to save time:
                1. bring all food, to save time selecting and buying it at the gas station.
                2. replace Festy driver's seat with a Porta-Potty.
                3. bring a 5-gallon can of gas with you, so you can fuel up on the side of the road when you almost run out of gas, without stopping at an actual gas station, which will take a few minutes at least. This way you only have to stop for gas itself, one time in the 1000-mile trip.
                Last edited by TominMO; 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post

There have been PLENTY of times that I will get passed and a few miles up the road who am I behind at the stop sign? The same driver who felt they had to be there yesterday and was attempting to do just that by blowing by me sucking up more fuel to accomplish the mission.

Dude, the feeling I got when I saw that same person at the stop sign, in front of blue and red lights.... Oh yeah... I smiled. I wish it everytime, especially if I'm already doing 5 over... People just don't compensate with leaving a bit early for cushion.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Accident avoidance. Pretty much drive the festiva like a motorcycle. No one sees us, or they see us and then forget we are there. Take swerving and braking very serious and you will stay out of harms way much more.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

GPS with traffic alerts. Those are the best time savers. Off highway: always find the routes with higher speed limits, you tend to stop less on them, unless of course its school letting out
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        3. bring a 5-gallon can of gas with you, so you can fuel up on the side of the road when you almost run out of gas, without stopping at an actual gas station, which will take a few minutes at least. This way you only have to stop for gas itself, one time in the 1000-mile trip.
                        Heck with that. Just put the filler cap on the inside and fill the tank as you go from the inside! You don't even have to stop!!!
                        1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                        1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                        1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                        2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                        2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                        2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                        1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                          Accident avoidance. Pretty much drive the festiva like a motorcycle. No one sees us, or they see us and then forget we are there. Take swerving and braking very serious and you will stay out of harms way much more.
                          I agree on that!!
                          1993 Ford Festiva L blue 170,000 miles
                          1990 Ford Festiva L Plus white 190,000 Auto, currently waiting to have another engine put in.
                          1995 Ford F150 XLT black 203,000 miles
                          2002 Honda CRV silver 180,000 miles
                          2003 Toyota Rav4 Sport black 94,000 miles
                          2008 Sym Rv250 dark grey 30,000 miles. My scooter.
                          1989 Ford Festiva LX black 233,000 miles. Sold to my better half's son.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
                            What is this "driving slow" you speak of?? :confused4:
                            Right? When I saw the title of the thread, my first thought was "Only if you are already dead!"
                            Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                            Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                            "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Slow... doesn't really work for us. Interesting read, people can take a lot of statistics, but correlation does not imply causation.

Car #789
                              Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
                              1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
                              1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
                              http://www.facebook.com/warally

Comment

Working...
                              X