Okay.. 'Grooving a Head'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay.. 'Grooving a Head'

Just wandering around the interwebz at 3:15AM, this is now the fourth time I've come across this. A groove sawed into the head to create better performance and MPGz.

I've heard it called:

Gadget-Man Groove
    Mr. Singh Groove
    Efficiency Groove

...what is this? Does it really work? What exactly needs to be done, ect ect.

Just wonderin' if anyone's heard about it.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

From what I understand, you carve a + into the head of the engine and it's supposed to help with atomization and promote a more complete burn. I read about this in popular science like 7 years ago, apparently the engine will idle stably at 50 RPM?
    1994 Honda Accord LX, 5spd

1992 Festy GL, 5spd (she be broken :/)

Comment

50 RPM? Wut.

Now I'm really wondering what this is.. I actually first heard about this from one of the people we bought a Festiva from LOL. He was saying how he bought it to turn into an ecomod kinda car, and he wanted to try the Groove on it.

He explained it in detail, but I had no idea what he was talking about. I still don't haha.
      White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
      White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
      1988 LX 5-speed
      ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

50rpm sounds wonderful for alternator and bearings...

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I'm thinking if this was such a simple and wonderful thing howcum the auto manufacturers haven't thought of it?

Comment

After reading the link, I have decided to let someone else do the experimentation on this. The same way I let others do the experimentation on the cronuts (a bacon cheeseburger with a fried croissant bun) at the CNE this year. Over 150 people bowed down to their porcelain god. Can you say Staphylococcus aureus toxin?
            Last edited by bravekozak; 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I personally think killing the squash and cutting grooves for carbon to stick to is asking for trouble.

It's funny though, I've done that same trick with my Dremel/makita /homemade25000rpmbeltdrivecuttingwheel and lathe(s).

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I read a lot about it a while ago. Opinions I found were pointing heavily toward the increase in compression that is supposed to accompany the groove doing what the groove is advertised to do.

Simply, just shave the head and you get the same result. The groove is supposed to be cut into the squish area IIRC. If the squish area is as tight as it should be to begin with, you don't need a groove in it. It's meant to cause turbulence and squeeze all the mixture into the open space of the CC. It seems counter-intuitive to me. The idea is to get the squish as tight as possible without slapping the piston against the head. I can't imagine sticking a pocket of "open" space into the squish area doing you any good.
                Last edited by sketchman; 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                X