Wut. This is 1982. 31 years ago.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wut. This is 1982. 31 years ago.

Just got Netflix and was watching S2 Episode 1 of Top Gear UK.. the one where they lit a Nissan Sunny on fire. Well, I googled Nissan Sunny, AKA Sentra in the states.. and read this on Wiki:

"At the time of its release, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gave the Sentra MPG the highest gasoline mileage among gasoline powered cars sold at that time, 43 miles per gallon in city and 58 miles per gallon in highway, a combined 48 miles per gallon."

And people today are excited at 40MPG?

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Im excited that they are still around for sale cheap and they dont have the cult following that toyotss have. Msybe ill ditch the 323 wagon failed quest and find one out here. I was so not aware some get over 50.
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

I had no idea, either!@#!#!

Sheesh.
      1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

EPA rating and real world MPG is usually different. I think that Wiki article could be mistaken. http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Fuel/1982/Nissan/Sentra
        Rick
        1993 Ford Festiva
        1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
        1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
        2000 Ford E350

Comment

I would consider it highly mistaken. Also, early EPA estimates for mileage were unrealistically high.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
            And people today are excited at 40MPG?
            Increased weight from increasing safety standards has been pretty will keeping pace with power and efficiency improvements.

Now with 100% more autocorrect fail!

Comment

Originally posted by bob^3 View Post
              Increased weight from increasing safety standards has been pretty will keeping pace with power and efficiency improvements.

Now with 100% more autocorrect fail!
              Huh?
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

^ He means that although cars are getting more fuel efficient, they're also getting heavier. Which negates the added efficiency
                If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
                Zulu Ministries

Comment

I saw a few 80's commercials on it, too, that said 58 highway.

Though upon looking further, I saw most people got low-to-mid 40's, and only two people claimed 50+ MPG.

Still ain't bad for a 1982 brick.
                  1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Festiva_Fred has an '85 Sentra!
                    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                    Random Festiva Parts
                    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I had a '95 B14 with a GA16/auto a few years back. Never tracked mileage but I'd be surprised if I *ever* saw 30MPG city out of that pile. The early/mid-'90s were supposed to be the golden age of fuel economy, but I'm pretty sure Nissan missed the memo in this case.
                      e: I was trying to find a commercial I saw on youtube a while ago for the JDM B14 Sunny, it was bizarre and hilarious. Instead I could only find the american one:
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This is nearly as bizarre as the JDM commercial in that it shows a B14 passing things that aren't stationary. Mine never could manage that kind of feat.
                      Last edited by Tommychu; 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

It's all that extra weight for safety stuff. A Mini's empty weight is as much as 2700 pounds, which I'd guess is at least 1000 more than a Festy.
                        88L black, dailydriver
                        88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
                        4 88/89 disassembled
                        91L green
                        91GL aqua pwrsteer
                        92GL red a/c reardmg
                        3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
                        1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFestivaGuy View Post
                          It's all that extra weight for safety stuff. A Mini's empty weight is as much as 2700 pounds, which I'd guess is at least 1000 more than a Festy.
                          The originals (59 to 67 Austin Mini 850s) weighed half that (1350 lb) and had no dash to speak of, no winding windows, no inner door skins, no radio, no headrests, no sound-proofing.... If one of us were to figure out a way to put an EFI B3 into one of these 1) it would be much more reliable than anything British-made 2) go like stink and 3) 50 mpg would be a piece of cake.
                          I built a 1071cc "S" sprint engine way back and, to make sure I ran-in the engine properly, bolted on 850 cc intake and exhaust manifolds and a tiny SU carb for the first 1000 miles. The fuel economy I got was spectacular!, and then went down fully by half when the MGB twin carbs and header and oversize pipes went on shortly after.

Comment

I honestly wish we could get cars like that back. I was just watching tv when a Toyota commercial came on. It showed the car drifting into the opposite lane because her boyfriend or whatever was showing her something on his phone. Car beep beeps and she realizes OH MY GOSH there's an oncoming car, and gets back into her lane.

Their tagline was "Toyota. We get you there. Safely."

Nothing said about keep your eyes on the road and we don't have to add 1500lbs in extra weight because you're dumber than a brick.
                            1988 LX 5-speed

Gone:

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post

Nothing said about keep your eyes on the road and we don't have to add 1500lbs in extra weight because you're dumber than a brick.
                              THANK YOU!

Shouting intended!
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X