Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-seize comment

Copied from another forum:
    The zinc oxide anti-seize sold for spark plugs is strictly for the steel/aluminum interface. It is not for steel/steel. For steel/steel, use a copper anti-seize or moly-lithium grease. Moly-lithium is classified as an anti-seize. Stainless steel/stainless steel requires copper anti-seize or it will seize. Plated steel should not have anti-seize on it.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Did they also state that a pencil eraser sized amount will cover the entire surface of the earth and all the planets and sub planets and moons in the entire solar system?
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Any anti-seize is better than none when it comes to spark plugs in an aluminum cylinder head.
      If a hammer doesn't fix it you have an electrical problem

WWZD
      Zulu Ministries

Comment

Anti-seize compound can be manufactured with different metal flakes. There is also stainless steel flake anti-seize. Expensive, but nice. If you get some gold flake, I have the formula. Together we could make the most expensive anti-seize compound in the world. We can even call Guinness.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 08-28-2013, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Plugs aren't supposed to be torqued in very tight and yet when you go to remove them from an aluminum head they are a sonovagun to break loose, especially if they've been in there for a decade and you happen to live in the rust belt. I was sweating yesterday in preparing my daughter's new purchase 00 Ford Focus for a cross country run when the spark plugs required an inordinate amount of leverage to remove. Folks that buy and install iridium or platinum or other long life plugs don't realize that when they wear out 100,000 miles later they will have 'become one' with the head. Better to buy cheap plugs, touch them up with antiseize and remove them on a regular basis.

Comment

My #3 cylinder on the old B3 required me to use a breaker bar and a short pipe on the bar to get it out!!!! I was waiting for the spark plug to break in half.
            It was like that no matter what I did until I got a thread chaser for the threads and ran it in there to clean up those threads. I tried anti sieze, didnt seem to help until I cleaned those threads up. Then I only needed the breaker bar without the short pipe on it!
            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

According to experts in Underhood Service Magazine, anti-seize lowers the coefficient of friction enough that it should be compensated for by lowering applied torque, I believe in the range of 15 - 20%. This should be especially true with threads in aluminum. (thread lightly)
              Last edited by tooldude; 08-28-2013, 07:52 PM. Reason: wrong thread
              When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

If spark plugs are easy to get at, as on the Festy, why not just take them out and reinstall them at, say, 50,000 mi., or change early. I'm not ever going to run any plugs 100,000 mi. and then see if I got lucky. Ford has that Modular engine which is famous for having the plugs seize from carbon and twist off on removal (4.6L,5.4L,6.8L - 3 valve engine). Even if they are hard to get at, that's nothing compared to having to remove a head.
                When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Originally posted by tooldude View Post
                  If spark plugs are easy to get at, as on the Festy, why not just take them out and reinstall them at, say, 50,000 mi., or change early. I'm not ever going to run any plugs 100,000 mi. and then see if I got lucky. Ford has that Modular engine which is famous for having the plugs seize from carbon and twist off on removal (4.6L,5.4L,6.8L - 3 valve engine). Even if they are hard to get at, that's nothing compared to having to remove a head.
                  50K miles is way too long to leave them in without anti-seize. Annually removing them, inspecting them and reinstalling would be more like it. But it's all easier with anti-seize.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                  X