Brake lines front to back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lines front to back

I'm tossing around the idea of replacing all my brake lines, wheel cylinders, and at least the driver side caliper.. the Festy has a little rust and I really run the poor car into the dirt and I'm afraid one of these days the brakes will fail at exactly the wrong moment.

Has anyone totally replaced the brake lines before? I'm wondering what length they need to be to go from the master to the proportioning valve and from there to the rear bracket, and to the two front brakes? I believe autozone sells 4' and 8' sections?! I've done this before both patching old lines with compression fittings and replacing lines entirely, and I'm hoping to avoid having to piece together lines, if it can be done with a single line to each wheel it would be the best way to go, hopefully without a lot of excess line.

Also has anyone bought and used the soft lines from rockauto? I tried to get the coupling apart on both front brakes but they won't separate, too much oxidation, so it will all need replaced if any of it gets replaced.

It's not gonna happen this week, and probably not till after madness, I've got some family issues right now and I can't do much of anything at the moment, but this is really eating at my conscience and it needs done before winter.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Do know how big of a job it is to remove them? If not too hard, maybe you could persuade someone to pull them from a southern junk yard car and bring them to you at Madness for a reasonable price.

Comment

zoom, The best time to change all the brake lines is with the engine out and the engine cradle out of the way. All the brake and fuel lines run through the back of the cradle for protection. Search for the thread about stainless brake lines. Change the fuel lines at the same time if they are rusty and might spring a leak. Gas is expensive nowadays.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X