• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerodynamic & Rolling Resistance, Horse Power & MPG Calculator

I did 2 calculations for reference:

Stock Festiva

My Festiva

Aspire

Note: At 31mph 50% of Festiva Horse Power goes into overcoming aerodynamic resistance.
    Last edited by mikeyjd; 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM.
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

That's pretty cool. So I assume the 'HP' line is how much horsepower is required to move at a certain speed? 64HP at 115MPH sounds about right, that's top end, and some have gotten a carb (past where they likely should) to about 120.

Awesome.

-Joe

EDIT: Darn it, I was looking at your Festiva, not stock. Eh, dumb me. Still pretty awesome.
    Last edited by Spike; 09-14-2013, 11:59 AM.
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

My Fuel Log

Comment

mikey, that math is off quite a bit... if 50% of the power from the B3 is used at 31 mph, then that would put our top speed at 62 mph....

power vs speed is logrythmic, not linear. with air speed, it's every doubling of speed requires 4x the power to get there.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I notice that the Stock Festy calculated results are off--at least in my experience. At 45 MPH I got 62.5 MPG; at 55 MPH I got 58.0 MPG; at 60 MPH I got 52.5 MPG.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            mikey, that math is off quite a bit... if 50% of the power from the B3 is used at 31 mph, then that would put our top speed at 62 mph....

power vs speed is logrythmic, not linear. with air speed, it's every doubling of speed requires 4x the power to get there.
            *50% of the horse power being used is to overcome drag, it takes about 3hp to maintain 31mph with Stock Festiva. To go 62mph it takes a little over 12hp or roughly 4x as much.

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            I notice that the Stock Festy calculated results are off--at least in my experience. At 45 MPH I got 62.5 MPG; at 55 MPH I got 58.0 MPG; at 60 MPH I got 52.5 MPG.
            These numbers won't equate to experience per say. They are just a peak at different variables in 100% controlled conditions on a flat surface.
            Last edited by mikeyjd; 09-28-2013, 07:07 PM.
            My Fuel Log

Comment

DO EEET!

With something lighter than clay.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
              X