Replace speedometer cabel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace speedometer cabel

I am replacing the speedometer cable on my 1988 ford festiva. I have followed the instructions for removing it, but the cable will not come out of the housing. I have pulled with pliers and no luck. What am I missing...???

There is a little release catch you have to push on with your thumb to get it out.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The cable itself should be loose inside the sheath, at least that's my experience. Now it could very well be you have to pull yours out from the dash board end if there is some sort of lip or washer integral to the cable. Removing the instrument cluster to get at the cable is not a major undertaking. Hardest part is to unhook the cable sheath at the back of the speedo without being able to see very well back there. It is a white plastic clip. If you're having trouble with it perhaps someone here will photo what one of these looks like.

Comment

I think I misread your original post. You are trying to get the cable out of the housing itself? Just replace the whole thing as a unit. But if for some reason you have to do it the way you describe, I think it will be easier to remove the whole cable housing first. Could be that you can't get the cable out of the housing because of too many turns in the housing. Once it's straight it should be easy to pull out the cable itself.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
        X